We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nano sim card for i5 at airport?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Nano sim card for i5 at airport?

Hi Guys,

I am flying from Australia in Jun, and I would like to know where at the International airport I can buy a nano sim card for my iphone 5?

I need a sim card at the airport as I will be using my iphone for a GPS so I can drive to Sacramento direct from the AP.

Thanks

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nano sim card for i5 at airport?

I've not seen any electronics shops at SFO, and their website doesn't show any phone stores. flysfo.com/web/…it.html

Most of the time, we refer people to an AT&T or T-Mobile store. Here are the closest to SFO:

AT&T Company Store

1206 El Camino Real

San Bruno CA 94066

(650) 737-0313

and TMobile

1150 El Camino Real #216

San Bruno

(650) 872-2298

You'll have to bring your own directions to get you to the store!

I'd call ahead to make sure they carry the specific SIM that you need.

Edited: 2:44 am, March 06, 2013
Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,883 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nano sim card for i5 at airport?

There are electronic gadget stores at the airport, but it looks like they're all post-security in the domestic terminals.

There's an Apple store near the airport in Burlingame.

http://www.apple.com/retail/burlingame/

I'm not an Apple guy, so I'm not sure if they carry what you need.

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nano sim card for i5 at airport?

hi peter

we leave in a month and we ordered our nano sims from a wholesaler in sydney and have activated them already. They are At&T sims and we will add the credit and plan just b4 we leave

I suggest you look into that. That way once you arrive and turn your phone on you have service

http://www.usaprepaidsimcard.com.au/

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nano sim card for i5 at airport?

Thanks for the replies guys. Is there any carrier that would provide better coverage than another?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,260 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nano sim card for i5 at airport?

Every carrier has their coverage area issues. If you go with ATT or T-Mobile it should be fine. ATT is fine unless you are going into a specific wilderness in which case you need a SAT phone. I guess most would not need that. LOL

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nano sim card for i5 at airport?

FWIW. the guy at the Apple store told me that for data AT&T was much better than any other provider. But AT&T still has cellular dead spots in the city.

I think it's always wise to have a paper map with you as a backup. GPS directions can be wrong and sometimes you want to see the "big picture."

Edited: 10:10 am, March 06, 2013
sf
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Nano sim card for i5 at airport?

There is a small kiosk in the Intl Terminal right across from Customs that has all types of phone & Computer gadgets, but it must only open in the afternoon, because I've never seen anyone there when I pickup people on 8-9am flights.

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nano sim card for i5 at airport?

that kiosk in airport didnt work for us

IMO AT&T is the best option. Its like comparing Telstra and Vodaphone in Australia. If you want reception you go with telstra, same with AT&T. Get the sim from the link i provided you it will make your life much easier :-)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nano sim card for i5 at airport?

Hi Linda

I purchased two sims from that website, so now I just have to wait for them to arrive then I can put some credit on them. It sounds like AT&T are the go.

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nano sim card for i5 at airport?

perth

once they arrive read the details carefully and any questions just email Nick hes very helpful

We leave in three weeks time. I just activated mine last nite and got my mobile number which is handy cos I can give it to all my family and friends and email places like tour companies that I have booked tours with my cell number

Once you activate you need to add credit within 26 days or its deactivated.

I would go with the option of getting nick to add the credit for you via his website. Its very easy and takes the hassle out of everything

I have bought the required recharge amount from his website, and on the order put in a note for him to add it to my number on 30 March so I get 30 days, which is the length of time i will be away

The $65 smarphone plan is great, Ive recharged $75 and bought at $10 international pack to add on. $75 for unlimited calls and texts in usa, texts to australia and 250 minutes international calls is a bargain!!