We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon Hotel, not 100% sure Argonaut Hotel?

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon Hotel, not 100% sure Argonaut Hotel?

Hey Guys,

Require some help if possible. Am booking a surprise honeymoon and need help with my final hotel in San Francisco. I was thinking about the Argonaut Hotel but not 100% sure on it. What do people think?

I was hoping some people might have a good idea for a possible honeymoon hotel in the city? Ideally loooking around £800 give or take for a three night stay.

Any help will be greatful

Many Thanks

Chris

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon Hotel, not 100% sure Argonaut Hotel?

It's the nicest hotel at the Wharf but I wouldn't want to spend my honeymoon at the Wharf.

Take a look at the TQs and read the one that compares Union Square to Fisherman's Wharf, also the one that talks about The Embarcadero. You should be able to make up your mind about the location from that information.

The dollar has strengthened against the dollar lately so 800 GBP = $1209. $400/night should get you something very nice and not in such a tacky touristy area.

Hotel prices vary a lot based on time of year and what large conventions are in town so you'll have to shop around. I might sugget the Vitale along the Embarcadero waterfront.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,992 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon Hotel, not 100% sure Argonaut Hotel?

I am with Sal, the Embarcadero would be nicer, the Hotel Vitale, Harbor Court Hotel or the Hotel Griffon.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,999 posts
1,791 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon Hotel, not 100% sure Argonaut Hotel?

We stayed at the Argonaut for our 10th anniversary trip. We previously stayed at the Holiday Inn at the Wharf for part of our original honeymoon.

The Argonaut is a converted warehouse turned into a boutique hotel. it does exude a lot of character. As a tourist, I rather like the wharf as a location, I have stayed in that area twice. Cafes, restaurants, shops even a supermarket nearby. If its popular with tourists, its no big deal for me, I am a tourist as well.

To get to the city we just jumped on a bus or the cable car.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon Hotel, not 100% sure Argonaut Hotel?

The Argonaut is in a building called "The Cannery" and it was just that ... a peach cannery owned by Del Monte ... not a wharehouse.

There are tourist traps all over the world. Just as I have no interest in seeing the Navy Pier in Chicago, South Street Seaport in NYC or any other area in the world which, regardless of whatever historical significance it may once have had, has been eliminated in the name of ticky-tacky commerce.

The Wharf has become the part of town where tourists congregate, I suppose because they feel safe there and with their own kind. And the tourist economy has made it easy: there are plenty of chain hotels, fast food restaurants, tour bus stops and cheap tourist trinkets. You will not meet a local unless that person is waiting on you in a shop or restaurant.

With all due respect, there is a difference between a tourist and a traveller.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,896 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon Hotel, not 100% sure Argonaut Hotel?

I'm with Sal....I avoid Fisherman's Wharf like the plague. I love San Francisco but Fishermans Wharf is one of the biggest tourist traps in the world.

I will second the Hotel Griffon.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,853 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon Hotel, not 100% sure Argonaut Hotel?

Navy Pier has a totally unexpected and lovely stained glass museum :)

I agree about SSS and even the "new" Faneuil Hall in Boston as well as Harborplace in Baltimore - all built by the same firms, btw.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,625 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon Hotel, not 100% sure Argonaut Hotel?

What are you looking for in a hotel? That may help us help you I respect everyone's opinion on this forum but if one wants to get a real feel of SF, stay away from the touristy FW

Nob Hill has the Fairmont, the Vitale has been mentioned, the Regis, the four seasons, the Mandarin Oriental and the Palace Hotel are IMHO honeymoon hotels

What is a surprise Honeymoon ? Is the wedding a surprise or the fact there is a honeymoon or the location.

Please tell us which hotels you are staying at in other cities

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,067 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon Hotel, not 100% sure Argonaut Hotel?

The Palace is a beautiful "old-school" grand hotel with a very romantic ambience. Mrs. OJ and I first stayed there on our honeymoon -- and our most recent stay was for our 40th anniversary. The "magic" is still there!

You should be able to obtain a very nice room -- perhaps a junior suite depending on the time of your stay -- for your budget.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,137 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon Hotel, not 100% sure Argonaut Hotel?

There's a carnival-like atmosphere at FW. If you're concerned with appearing sophisticated and want a lot of upscale restaurants within walking distance, then don't stay there. Otherwise, the Argonaut is one of the best hotels in the city.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon Hotel, not 100% sure Argonaut Hotel?

Hi Guys,

Thank you for all these comments. It's really handy to read all of these views etc. I think i will be looking at the Hotel Vitale now for a first choice and also Mandarin Oriental.

The Honeymoon is a surpirse so she has no idea where it is we are going and how long for. full control in my hands :)

Whilst in San Fran i had planned to vist the Rock (Night tour), Baseball game in the evening (last night i imagine), cycle over the bridge, vist chinetown, shopping for the wife, Union square and genral looking around the city. Alot to pack in for 2 whole days but it's doable.

A good location would be key to get to everything required.

So many options it's crazy