We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golden Gate Park or Presidio

Michigan
Level Contributor
70 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Golden Gate Park or Presidio

I'm hoping to see both but I'm not sure if I'll have enough time. We are only in the city 3 days. Which one is better?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
56 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Golden Gate Park or Presidio

Sal, you are amazing. SFSusan nice summary.

I can add a bit to the complexity of the "largest urban national park". I think the GGNRA takes that title, which includes most of the popular tourist destinations in the Bay, like Alcatraz, parts of the coastline like Land's End, and even parts that flow through the Presidio and into the Headlands. The boundary premises between the Golden Gate National Recreation Center, The Presidio Park, the National Park, etc are all very complex, and some trails in the Presidio have you crossing over into multiple boundaries within a few feet - NPS, GGNRA, Conservancy, Presidio Trust, etc.

So the "largest urban national park" is the GGNRA, I think. That flows into Muir Woods and Pt Reyes, even. Or at least, that's where that confusing title came from. I am not infallible, I could be wrong.

Funny enough, Golden Gate Park is is considered the city and county of SF, outside of the GGNRA boundaries. Golden Gate Park gets confused as the largest, because, frankly, it has more to do in it's small area than almost anywhere I can think of.

If you want to hike, and have fun outdoors near the Golden Gate Bridge and coast, the Presidio is for you. The Disney museum isn't really geared toward younger kids, which is important to point out.

Golden Gate Park is right by the hoppin' Inner Sunset with plenty of great dining options, and you have the DeYoung, Cal Academy, Carousels, playgrounds, angler casting pools, paddle boats and canoes, windmills, archery ranges, and all the aforementioned treats. It is perfect! My two cents, which may be worth 1.5 =)

12. Re: Golden Gate Park or Presidio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, March 04, 2014