We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Green St?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
339 posts
Save Topic
Green St?

Coming to SF this summer for four days, and am interested in a rental by owner on Green Street (1700 block). Is this a good area, and would it be convenient to anything "touristy"? (Fisherman's wharf, etc). We don't mind walking a mile or two one way to reach a destination.

Are there any restaurants or groceries nearby (mid price range)?

One last question, as I can't figure out the Muni map..... will we be close to public transportation, and if so, where exactly?

Thanks in advance for any help!

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,089 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Green St?

What is the cross st, or address

Most of Green St is pretty nice

Edited: 10:37 pm, February 22, 2013
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Green St?

<<What is the cross st, or address>>

~Sigh~ It would be nice if people actually READ posts. The OP clearly states 1700 Green!

That block is between Gough (pronounced 'gawf') and Octavia. It's a very nice are considered Cow Hollow.

Along Union Street (from Octavia to Steiner) there are lots of dining options. With more along Chestnut from Fillmore to Divisadero.

This is a great location if you wish to live a bit more like a local than the average visitor.

Fisherman's Wharf is a couple of miles away but you can walk over to Van Ness and catch the 47 into the heart of Fisherman's Wharf (although 1/2 day there is more than enough).

Muni prides itself on being very convenient. I find www.nextmuni.com a good resource (combined with the map) for locating the exact bus stops.

NoCal
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Green St?

Very safe location with limited street parking requiring a parking permit.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
339 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Green St?

Thanks so much for the location info and links, that helps a lot. We won't have a car, so no problem there.

We probably will not spend much time in Fisherman's Wharf, but I thought that was a central location for transportation to take you other places.... tour buses, cable cars, Alcatraz, etc. Am I incorrect?

The more I research, the mnore confusing it gets!

feira
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Green St?

The local bus system in SF is very good; usually there is one that gets you from where you are pretty directly to where you want to be (unlike many US cities).

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,737 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Green St?

Union Square, not Fisherman's Wharf, is where you will find good access to all the kinds of public transportation in the city to take you where you want to go.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Green St?

A lot of tour buses start at Fisherman's Wharf although many have pickup locations at Union Square as well. For that, from this location Fisherman's Wharf would be quickest via the 47-Van Ness.

From that location you have easy access to the waterfront on foot or bike. There's a bike rental on Lombard.

Alamo Square (Painted Ladies): walk to Fillmore and get the 22-Fillmore to Hayes and walk a block west. This will also take you through Pacific Heights, another shopping district, and Japantown.

Golden Gate Park: On Lombard catch the 28-19th Ave (either limited or local) and get off at Park Presidio and Fulton. Enter the Park through the Rose Garden. To access sections of the park further to the east or west, the 5-Fulton runs the length of the park.

Union Square: On Union catch the 45-Union/Stockton. It will go through North Beach and Chinatown before arriving at Union Square.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
18,580 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Green St?

One of my favorite restaurants in North Beach is Maykadeh, which serves Persian cuisine.

It’s located at 470 Green Street, between Varennes Street and Grant Ave.

Prices are very reasonable.

http://www.maykadehrestaurant.com/

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
339 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Green St?

Thanks all for the tips and detailed info, I really appreciate the help. I hope everyone in SF is as nice as the folks on this board :)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,041 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Green St?

Cow Hollow and the Marina district are GREAT neighbourhoods in SF. You'll enjoy it.