We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1039 A Broadway in Nob Hill or 42 Pleasant Street, Nob Hill

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
9 posts
Save Topic
1039 A Broadway in Nob Hill or 42 Pleasant Street, Nob Hill

I am trying to decide between these two locations for an upcoming vacation to San Francisco. They are both in the same price range, but I am just wondering about how far each is up the hill and what is near them.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1039 A Broadway in Nob Hill or 42 Pleasant Street, Nob Hill

The Broadway Street location is on top of the Broadway tunnel on Russian Hill. From the east it's 2 blocks up hill.

The Pleasant St (an alley actually) is 1.5 blocks from Grace Cathedral which means it sits smack dab on top of Nob Hill.

They are both nice neighborhoods but they are both on hills. If I had to choose (just based on location) I think I'd go with the Broadway location. A bit closer to some cute restos on Hyde St which have a bit more neighborhood feel. OTOH the Nob Hill location is very close to one of my favorite restos in town: Venticello. It's a really close call. But if you can't deal with hills, keep looking.

They are both close to cable car routes so whichever you pick be sure to get a Muni Passport to cover the $6 per ride fare on the cable cars.

Edmonton, Canada
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1039 A Broadway in Nob Hill or 42 Pleasant Street, Nob Hill

Thank you very much for responding. I actually thought the one on Pleasant Street would be the lower of the two. Is there any problem with being on top of the Broadway Tunnel? I assume both locations are in safe areas.

I am also considering a place called the Artist's Inn at 2231 Pine Street in Lower Pacific Heights or the Parsonage a Bed and Breakfast 198 Haight Street at Laguna, but I am a little concerned about the safety of the area as I will have my wife and daughter with me.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1039 A Broadway in Nob Hill or 42 Pleasant Street, Nob Hill

No problem being on top of the tunnel. Occasionally when people try to Google Street view an address on top of the tunnel they get the inside of the tunnel!

Yes, both areas are quite safe and upscale.

2231 Pine is at Webster. Pine is a very busy ouitbound street so could get noisy if you faced the front. It's a block from Fillmore which is the commercial street of the Pacific Heights neighborhood. Also very upscale and lots of shops and restos on Fillmore.

Haight and Laguna is very near the Mint! So there's probably some great security around LOL. It's also right at a large UC Extension compex. Lower Haight neighborhood starts a couple of blocks west. It's a fine area but a bit edgier (more popular with hipsters than aging yuppies) than the others.

All are fine neighborhoods. I think you have two basic decisions to make: 1) do you want a B&B or vacation rental and 2) how close to downtown do you want to be.

Edmonton, Canada
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1039 A Broadway in Nob Hill or 42 Pleasant Street, Nob Hill

I think I want a vacation rental. Is the Broadway location fairly close to downtown and not too secluded? My wife, daughter and I don't mind walking.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
11,609 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1039 A Broadway in Nob Hill or 42 Pleasant Street, Nob Hill

The Broadway location is in the pie-shaped downtown area (bounded by Market, Van Ness and the waterfront). You would be walking distance to North Beach and the cable cars, and from there you can get transit to most tourist sights.

Nob Hill is primarily high-end residential apartments and condos, plus some luxury hotels. It will be much quieter and have less of a neighborhood feel.

But don't underestimate any of the hills I have a friend who moved from Nob Hill because she got tired of waiting for the cable cars and didn't want to wreck her knees any more!

6. Re: 1039 A Broadway in Nob Hill or 42 Pleasant Street, Nob Hill

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 21, 2014