We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nearest campsites

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,050 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Nearest campsites

Hello!

I'm planning a driving/camping trip around the CA Central Coast for this coming August. As we will be towing our tent trailer, it just makes sense to camp, even if getting in to see SF is a bit of a hassle from there. We would have our own vehicle and are 2A,2K.

1 Can any one recommend a couple of reasonably convenient campgrounds?

2. What is a day of parking worth in the city?

Thanks for any recommendations.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,024 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nearest campsites

>>2. What is a day of parking worth in the city?<<

This sounds like a credit card commercial... "a day of parking in San Francisco, $30; a day of vacation with your family, priceless!"

But depending on where you park, it's $2-10/hour, even for (hard-to-find) street parking.

Edited: 1:59 am, February 13, 2013
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nearest campsites

The parking meters in my neighborhood are $7/hour.

I do hope you're not thinking of dragging your tent trailer into the city.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nearest campsites

you would have to call up a garage and see if they take a car and a trailer.

maybe you could park it in a BART parking lot, or outside on the street and take BART in.

the trailer may be illegal to park overnight in the city.

i don't know about campsites. i can only think of RV parks and found these 2:

http://www.sanfranciscorvresort.com/

http://www.treasureislandrvpark.com/

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,050 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nearest campsites

No worries there! The plan is to set up at camp, and then have a couple of days to drive in, leaving the tent trailer at camp. I'm fine with using transit, but often by the time I've paid for return fares for four people, I might as well drive in and park, which is why I asked how much we can expect to pay. I don't know what transit is worth there, but in Vancouver its going to cost me the better part of $40 to take the family into town on transit anyway, so $30 to park is in the same ball park.

One more related question - tolls. The GGB is a toll bridge right? What's it worth? Just asking because it might impact where we decide to camp if we have to add tolls to our drive in and out.

I'll check out those RV parks later. Thanks for the links.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,443 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nearest campsites

goldengatebridge.org/tolls_traffic/toll_rate… has the toll rates. Most pay 6 for a regular car only going into SF (oneway toll)

Transit will vary depending on where you stay North or East or South of SF. BART is good on the South side of SF on the Peninsula or the East Bay

What you pay for parking depends on where you park, for how long and how often you move to get close to the next attraction.

Edited: 4:10 pm, February 13, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,050 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nearest campsites

There's a very nice looking KOA to the north which is a full hour out of town, but that might be OK. We're not really fans of the parking lot style RV parks if we can find something else. I would think something as far away as 45 minutes would still be fine.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,050 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nearest campsites

Ok, $6 one way toll is reasonable. We're just starting to get tolls in Vancouver and they are charging $3.50 one way. Its a bit of a blow when you are used to crossing for free. [sigh]

sf
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Nearest campsites

The only KOA I know of around here in in Petaluma which is about 1 hr drive or more depending on the time of day, my wife & daughter liked it when they stayed there with a group.

THere is also Samuel P Taylor State Park, that is taking August reservations now for August dates. Better act fast!!

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,239 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nearest campsites

Golden Gate toll is $6 (passenger cars) but only if you are going into the city. If you are leaving (i.e. going north) SF thinks you are already so sad to be leaving town that they don't charge you anything.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nearest campsites

the samuel park is really nice. some of the sites are really small, if you stay make sure you get one big enough for everything.

an idea: if you stay at that park, come over the GGB, and park in the richmond district. check the signs and make sure no street cleaning, 2 hour limit, construction, etc. then get a muni pass. you'll have to do the math to see if this a viable option.

if you forget your parking meter you could get a $65? fee.