We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day itinerary - suggestions please

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
home sweet home
Level Contributor
276 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
1 day itinerary - suggestions please

I have our itinerary for 3.5 days in SF pretty much planned out. One day with Dylan's Tour, another day Chinatown & union square etc.

This is my one day itinerary, can anyone advise how i can fit Coit Tower and Filbert Steps in somewhere without having to back track? I was initially thinking of doing Coit Tower and Filbert Steps after the Dylan's Tour since it ends around 3:30 pm but that might be a little too aggressive.

- 9:10 am ferry to Alcatraz

- walk to Fisherman's Wharf, lunch at The Codmother Fish & Chips

- take Powell-Hyde cable car to Lombard Street

- take Powell-Hyde cable car down to Nob Hill

- walk around Nob Hill and drinks at The Fairmont SF

- back to hotel near union square, dinner reservations at 7pm

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,394 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day itinerary - suggestions please

Chinatown and Union Square day, you can add North beach and Coit tower and Filbert steps.At the end of Chinatown is North beach and you can walk up to the Coit tower then and walk down the Filbert Steps.

Drinks are more fun at the Top of the Mark Hopkins if you want to take in the view on a clear day.

home sweet home
Level Contributor
276 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day itinerary - suggestions please

yes, it would be more logical to fit Coit Tower and Filbert Steps the first day we go to Chinatown but my husband has a work event that evening so i'm concerned about the timing.

if we arrive in SF around 9:32 am, cab to the hotel and then do Chinatown, Coit Tower and Filbert Steps ...would be be done before 4 pm?

should we walk to North Beach after Chinatown or public transportation?

another question, is Coit Tower and Filbert Steps worth a visit?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,394 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day itinerary - suggestions please

http://goo.gl/maps/j45Ez Have a look at this map and you can see the spot where Coit Tower is. If you walk through Chinatown it is not that much of a walk until you hit Columbus ave which is North Beach and then walk up to Coit. It is an uphill walk so you must be prepared for that. or you can take the MUNI bus 39 up to Coit tower from Columbus.

Now if you are not familiar with Chinatown perhaps a walking tour would be better or else you will just be walking looking at shops selling "stuff' and markets. There are many tours including wok whiz and others around Chinatown.

I don't know if something is worth it --it is a popular attraction in SF and even if you don't go up the tower, the views are gorgeous. There is a lot of history with the tower, one can go up in the tower, the view is lovely and the steps are a great way to get down to the Embarcadero --you can see the famous parrots there if they are there.

The steps go down to Levis Plaza and you will then have to take the F Market street car back to Market street and walk back to your hotel so that may add a half hour. One could just see the tower and head back and then if you like take the Cable Car back to union square (Powell Mason Line) or 30 Stockton or 45 back. Check out www.nextmuni.com for a map of the routes.

Edited: 7:40 pm, February 11, 2013
home sweet home
Level Contributor
276 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day itinerary - suggestions please

thanks belomiser!

the google directions that i get from Chinatown is to walk up Kearny Street and then left to get to Telegraph Hill Road. so are you saying...if i get onto Columbus Ave, bus 39 will take us up to Telegraph Hill Road? if that is the case, then we might do that to save some time and descend the Filbert Steps to Levi's Plaza.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,394 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 day itinerary - suggestions please

Here is the MUNI 39 route and you can see the bus moving and the stops and it goes to Coit tower

www.nextmuni.com/googleMap/…

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 day itinerary - suggestions please

Good post! I'm going to 'borrow' and add to my itinerary! I had planned on a self directed tour, it's great to get an idea of how it can be made more realistic/logical.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,509 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 day itinerary - suggestions please

If you are early risers, you could walk up Telegraph Hill before your Alcatraz tour, then walk down the other side to Pier 33.

home sweet home
Level Contributor
276 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 day itinerary - suggestions please

thanks belomiser!

home sweet home
Level Contributor
276 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 day itinerary - suggestions please

belomiser: regarding my original post...is there any other things i can add to that day now that i'm doing Coit Tower and Filbert Steps on my first day? i decided to skip drinks at the Fairmont, reviews aren't great.

10. Re: 1 day itinerary - suggestions please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 13, 2014