We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Fran & Yosemite trip, to much to squeeze in Carmel Area

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
193 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
San Fran & Yosemite trip, to much to squeeze in Carmel Area

Hi There

We are looking at being in the SF region from October 31st to November 7th this year. At the stage we are flying in from LV on the 31st and drive straight to Yosemite. We are there until the 2nd, when we drive back to SF for 5 nights and 5 days, before we fly out to NY. My question is, as we have five full days in San Fran, do you reckon it would be pushing it to try and fit in a day trip or overnight trip to Monterey/Carmel/ area?? Really keen to see it, but its a bit tricky to fit it in. I don't want to push to fit this in and miss out of stuff in San Fran

Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: San Fran & Yosemite trip, to much to squeeze in Carmel Area

Did you already plan out everything you wanted to see in SF? With 5 full days, i think you will find that you can squeeze in Monterey/Carmel especially if you are keen to see it. In fact, you should go to Carmel first while you have the car as you probably will not need a car in SF.

Compared to the first part of your trip (flying into LV and driving to Yosemite all in one day), 5 days for SF and Carmel would seem very leisurely.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,443 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Fran & Yosemite trip, to much to squeeze in Carmel Area

Well drive to Yosemite and then to Carmel and stay the night and come to SF and get rid of the car as mentioned above. 4 days in SF would be great

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Fran & Yosemite trip, to much to squeeze in Carmel Area

I don't know what time your flights are but 5 nights is 4 full days -- not 5.

You only have one full day in Yosemite. You might think about trying to add another night there. But then I think you've lost your window to squeeze in Carmel.

Your other option is to keep only one day in Yosemite and from there drive to Carmel, spend the night and then arrive in SF.

I've gone down to Carmel for a day trip but it always seems like a long drive back.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
193 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Fran & Yosemite trip, to much to squeeze in Carmel Area

Hey guys

Thanks for your replies. We are looking at taking the last flight out of san fran to New York, so we will have the full day in the area, giving us 5 full days in San Fran. My only concern is that If i go to monterey after yosemite and stay over night there it will be A - to rushed in the area and B - cut into time in San Fran. Our trip is already jammed packed, I was thinking it could be nice just to be able to chill out in a city! We have already planned 3 out of the 5 days, so we have two days where we are yet to figure out what we are doing. If i were going to do it, I would do it from Yosemite. Just out of interest, how long do you think it would take to drive from yosemite - monterey on a saturday leaving at about 8am?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,443 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Fran & Yosemite trip, to much to squeeze in Carmel Area

Around 4 or so hours it is your vacation so you can decide how you want to spend it. SF needs 3-4 full days at a minimum

6. Re: San Fran & Yosemite trip, to much to squeeze in Carmel Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 07, 2014