We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San francisco - Las Vegas

London
Level Contributor
18 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
San francisco - Las Vegas

Hiya

My boyfriend and I are going to be hiring a car and driving from SF - LV. I would like to do it as quickly as possible, but in all fairness, my partner is going to the be the one that is driving and he loves to stop us and look at views etc.

How long will it generally take to get to LV? hours wise? Can anyone recommend a route to take...not the long winded one please. Or can anyone reccommend a website/book for me to read on the places to see do on the way.

tThank you

Karen

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,607 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San francisco - Las Vegas

If you want to get to Las Vegas quickly then you should fly on southwest Airlines from Oakland(just across the bay from SanFrancisco.)It is an internal US airline that has inexpensive flights. Otherwise the drive can either take an entire day or several days depending on how much time you have and how many stops you would like to make. Many people take a few weeks to see California including,spending time in San Francisco, nearby wine country, the coast down through, Monterey an dBig Sur, Yosemite Park ,and Death Valley,before going on to Las Vegas.

Mentioned in this post
Oakland
Oakland
California
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Visalia, CA
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San francisco - Las Vegas

There are a couple of different ways to get to LV driving. The most scenic route would be to drive to Lake Tahoe, then take Hwy 395 south, go through Death Valley & then on to Vegas. The quicker but unscenic route would be to take Hwy 5 down to Bakersfield, 58 east to Barstow & 15 north to LV.

The Bakersfield route would be about 10 hours not counting any stops you might take. I have not taken the more scenic route but have to believe that it could be as much as 2 hours longer due to the fact that a good portion of it is on two lane mountain roads. Maybe someone who has been down that route will see this and give you a better idea of how much time it'll take. Either way it's a long drive. Please note that I am assuming that the weather will be good while you're here.

Mentioned in this post