We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Northern CA?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to stay in Northern CA?

Hi again, we're traveling from Seattle to Morgan Hill and we're having a little trouble deciding/finding a place to stay in Northern CA. We've decided on Newport, OR and have found a great place to stay, but can't decide where once we get into CA. Can anyone reveal a gem of a place to stay? Should we stay in Crescent City, Trinidad or somewhere else? Where would the perfect overnight be between Newport, OR to San Francisco and Morgan Hill? Thank you for any suggestions or help!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,745 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Northern CA?

Since this is a road trip and since it covers three states, you will get better answers by posting this on the Road Trip forum.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Have a nice trip.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,625 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Northern CA?

Is there any chance you could spend more than 1 night between Newport and Morgan Hill? The problem is that Eureka is the town halfway between your start and end point, and it's more of a big city than a charming coastal town. If you could add more nights, you could do Gold Beach (at the mouth of the Rogue River), then Mendocino. (I'm assuming you want to go along the coast, since you mention Crescent City...)

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
309 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Northern CA?

Shasta might be good.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Northern CA?

Hi SFSusan and Rylanpf, thank you for your posts! I had thought Northern CA would be like the Oregon coast with lots of beach towns so I was stumped where to go. I decided against Eureka and Crescent City because I couldn't find a nice place to stay overnight - budgetwise and comfortwise, but I finally found a place in Arcata at the Hampton Inn & Suites. It's a longer drive than I had originally wanted from Newport to Arcata because I know there are so many great sights to stop in between. Since we won't be too far from Arcata to Morgan Hill we'll spend some through the Redwoods, hoping to miss traffic in SF. It won't be terrible if we show up in MH later in the evening. We'll do Shasta on our way back up through I5!

5. Re: Where to stay in Northern CA?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 23, 2014