We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from San Francisco to Sacramento via Golden Gate

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
CSquaredC2
Level Contributor
392 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling from San Francisco to Sacramento via Golden Gate

In a couple of weeks my parents are landing in San Francisco and eventually will be making there way to Sacramento. Both have been to SF before so they are exploring alternative areas to see. They land early morning on Day 1 and by the mid-afternoon of Day 2 need to be in Sacramento.

I suggested after landing heading north on 101 to take a quick visit to Muir Woods and maybe Sausalito for lunch. From there head up and go up 101 and come down through Napa. They aren't big wine drinkers but would enjoy visiting a couple of wineries. Depending on options, they could stay the night or just make their way to Sac the night of Day 1.

I was wondering if any one has any ideas on if it's worth it to take an indirect drive to Sac and what tourist sites they may consider stopping at.

Thanks - all your insight and help is always appreciated!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from San Francisco to Sacramento via Golden Gate

What you propose sounds good. It may be better to spend the night in the Wine Country especially if they have visited wineries. There are some amazing restaurants in the Napa Valley that would be great to visit.

One would do Sausalito and then Muir Woods and then continue to Napa

There are other trips -- one that takes one closer to Sacramento -- the delta or a trip to Gold Country -- Please check out Day Trips: Adventure -- on the right side menu under San Francisco Itineraries

sf
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from San Francisco to Sacramento via Golden Gate

You could also take 101 up through Marin to Novato then 37 over to Napa hitting wineries in the Carneros region offf of 121 then back to 37 to 80 to Sac

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,078 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling from San Francisco to Sacramento via Golden Gate

Napa / Sonoma is pretty country and there is lot's to do and see. I'd recommend to spend a night there. As belo says, great restaurants too...

Folsom and the Gold Trail (Hwy 49) is a great trip if your folks are into history...

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,980 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling from San Francisco to Sacramento via Golden Gate

When you say "an indirect drive" to Sacramento, any idea how *indirect* that might be (?) considering some are suggesting the Gold Country and that's fairly "indirect" -- past Sacramento in a few directions. It would help to clarify that one word, for suggestions.

Also, feel free to drop by the Sacramento TA forum for additional suggestions in that area, if your parents are going to stay for awhile and want to wander.

One suggestion: For a blast of Old California (Gold Rush era) history and a cute town, Benicia is one suggestion. When they are coming down from the Wine Country, they would cross I-80 and take 780 into town. Benicia is a great walking town, has some nice shops and restaurants (and scenic views out across the waters of the Carquinez Straits and the bridge) and the old State Capitol Building, before Sacramento became the capital of California.

Side note ---- when walking in Benicia, there are some interesting historical signs which point out things like the location (an old tavern) where the first "notification" of the discovery of gold in California was made (which pretty much changed the history of the US). The messenger sent down from Coloma to tell the governor (Monterey at the time) that gold was discovered in Sutter's mine stopped in Benicia that night and got a bit tipsy and spilled the beans. Many such interesting historical tales (and fun places to eat, drink and shop) abound --- around First Street in Benicia (and all over town actually --- but that's too complicated for a short trip).

From Benicia, it's a straight one-hour shot up Highway 680 to I-80, into Sacramento (depending on where they are going, of course ---- longer to get to the Folsom or Roseville side of Sac).

Hope parents have fun. Are you traveling with them?

5. Re: Traveling from San Francisco to Sacramento via Golden Gate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 13, 2014