We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking the City

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Walking the City

Can anyone recommend a route to walk the city? We will be staying at the Fisherman's Wharf.

San Francisco
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking the City

If you dont mind hills and such, I would walk south on Embarcadero, Take the Coit Steps off Sansome (see the Wild Parrots, they nest here), through Telegrapgh hill, head to Columbus and wander through North Beach. Then Take Grant to wander through Chinatown, to Union Square. Hike up California (or hop the Trolley up the hill!) and then at the Mark Hopkins hop off and you are in Nob hill, off to the right you wander through Russian Hill, downt he hills and you are back at the hotel.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking the City

If you like to get a walking tour, you might also consider this free service through volunteers of the SF Public library:

http://www.sfcityguides.org/

Chicago
Level Contributor
690 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking the City

I'd second both of the suggestions that have been made. The walk up to or down from Telegraph Hill on the Greenwich or the Filbert stairs is just wonderful, and not just because you might get a chance to see the Wild Parrots. The views are just awesome and so are the gardens you pass on your way. The link below has a description of the Filbert Stairway walk and also shows other stairway walks in the Telegraph Hill and other areas of the City.

www.sisterbetty.org/stairways/stairways.htm

Level Contributor
34,732 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking the City

We just spent the entire day in San Francisco yesterday. Make sure you plan on some time at the fun Pier 39. There was an entertainer there that was just amazing. It was a beautiful, sunny day in a fantastic city. Trip report to follow a bit later! :)

5. Re: Walking the City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:26 am, May 08, 2006
6. Re: Walking the City

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:57 pm, May 07, 2006
Carmel, California
Level Contributor
549 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking the City

I miss my walks from Powell up to California then back down, left on Grant into Chinatown and onto North Beach and its wonderful cafes.

San Francisco is truly one of the best (and hilly) cities for walkers..you won't need to hit the gym, just the streets of San Francisco (sorry, it sounds a little syrupee, I miss my walks)..

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,875 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking the City

I used to live in California street then down on Green St in the Marina..

I took visiting friends on the Cable Car from end to end, Chinatown, Coit Tower, Ghiradelli Chocolates and the North Beach area..I need to come back and do it again with my husband :)

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
549 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking the City

there are a couple of great restaurants (one italian, the other persian) on Green off Grant--that whole area around North Beach is fun to walk around..

10. Re: Walking the City

Removed on: 1:56 pm, May 08, 2006