We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MilkmadeSF is wonderful! :)

Edmonton, AB/Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
MilkmadeSF is wonderful! :)

HI!!!

You are AWESOME! It's great to see you helping out so many people. Kudos to you!!!!

Any knowledge on Hotel Metropolis?? I would be most grateful.

Thanks.

daisymae

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: MilkmadeSF is wonderful! :)

I've never heard anything about Hotel Metropolis, but based on the cross streets, I wouldn't stay there. It's not pleasant on the eye.

Here are the reviews from others.

www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll…

(expedia)

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60713-d224955-…

(tripadvisor)

Calgary
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: MilkmadeSF is wonderful! :)

Yes you are Milk! I have heard of the Tenderloin area is the area to avoid but what exactly is the area to avoid downtown or if it's easier where is the place to stay? Thanks for your help!

Edmonton, AB/Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MilkmadeSF is wonderful! :)

Hi Milkmade!

Gosh....thanks for the input. I guess I am back to ground zero. I was going to book this as it seemed quite attractive and reasonable. $75/night. I am sure there are better choices. Like everyone else, I am on a budget and don't want to spend more than $100 Cdn a night. Any suggestions? This is my first trip to SF and I am hoping for a great holiday. Thanks again!!! :)

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: MilkmadeSF is wonderful! :)

Affordable places I recommend:

1. The York on Sutter @ Leavenworth

2. Castle Inn (Broadway @ Van Ness)

3. The Andrews Hotel.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60713-d112320-…

Expedia does not have the cheapest rates so check around or call the hotel direct.

Mentioned in this post
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Sutter
Sutter
California
San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: MilkmadeSF is wonderful! :)

Cowtown,

Please look at a STREET MAP of SF, then read my comments.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't book a hotel within the border of:

Geary, Mason, Market & Van Ness.

Anything South Of Market( Street) : from 5th to Van Ness would be bad news..

exceptions:

Mason @ Geary - ok

Mason @ O'Farrell - ok

Example of not OK:

Walking on Ellis, Turk, or Eddy Streets

Walking on Mason (from Ellis to Market)

Anybody else in SF have input?

Edmonton, AB/Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MilkmadeSF is wonderful! :)

Thanks! I've been researching and spending a few hours on the net every night. It's so exhausting! :( I am sure the effort will be worth it. I was thinking of The York at one point as I read some comments from people. You definately made it easier to decide. Would you avoid the July 4th weekend?? I've always wanted to be in the States for that holiday. You have definately inspired me Milk...think I will help travellers out from this end...might change my handle though lol thanks a bunch :)

Mentioned in this post
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Edmonton, AB/Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: MilkmadeSF is wonderful! :)

Hmmm, checked out review for The York on Trip Advisor and it doesn't look that good. I'll wait and see if anyone else will be staying there. Meanwhile Castle Inn, looks pretty good. I am SO glad I am looking into this!

Mentioned in this post
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: MilkmadeSF is wonderful! :)

Hi daisymae, you are right, MilkmadeSF is wonderul! I had inquired about The York a couple of weeks ago and MilkmadeSF went and personally checked it out on my behalf. How lucky am I??

If you click on my screen name and read the thread about The York, milkmadeSF gave a very detailed, personal description of it. Based partially on that, I went ahead and booked it. I will be staying there mid-March so I will certainly post my experience back here if you like.

Mentioned in this post
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: MilkmadeSF is wonderful! :)

Oh wow, I just realised you are from Edmonton also!!! Hope you have a great time is SF!

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: MilkmadeSF is wonderful! :)

Sounds like you're getting some good advice on hotels. In terms of July Fourth, come on over! We have an awesome July 4th celebration- lasts all day all along the waterfront, followed by fireworks around 9:30. Be sure you bring a folding chair and/or some kind of picnic blanket, as you will want to scope pot a place early. If you hate crowds, though, then you might want to pick another time to come!