We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Oakland? or Dillon Beach??

Atlanta
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Oakland? or Dillon Beach??

My family of 9 are coming to SFO in July for 7 nts..Been considering staying in a vrbo in Dillon beach..just looked a bit into Oakland and wondered if that might be a better choice?? We really don't want to stay on beach the whole week..want to do alot of sightseeing in the city and surrounding areas but a rental seems more economical for us than hotels..Is there tolls for both GG and Oakland Bay bridges?? Any ideas??

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Oakland? or Dillon Beach??

A couple of thoughts. I remember you were the ones who were going to stay in Montara, so I thought beach was important.

If you stay in Dillon Beach, this would be a kind of destination vacation. Once you'e up there, the prospect of going to San Francisco is an involved one: winding country roads, traffic on certain days and hours going into the San Francisco, and $5 bridge tolls. The surrounding areas to explore are beautiful northern California coast, and Sonoma and Napa wine countries.

If you stayed in the East Bay, say Oakland, you are lot closer to San Francisco. Bridge toll is $3. East Bay traffic can be bad, and driving into the city during commute hours is the thing to avoid. It also depends on where you want to do your sightseeing. You are fairly well-located for going up to Napa Valley, for instance, and most of it is freeway driving.

I ran across this house listed in Berkeley, and it sounded fabulous, not to mention, big enough for your brood:

www.craigslist.org/eby/vac/155354151.html

The Berkeley hills are very nice. You can take BART from the North Berkeley station, and the town itself can be quite pleasant, particularly at that end.