We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lighthouse area near San Francisco

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
215 posts
223 reviews
Save Topic
Lighthouse area near San Francisco

I am planning a trip to see several of the lighthouses in the San Francisco area. Would like to know a great hotel or inn to stay that would be central to traveling to several of the lighthouses. Would also like to know great places to eat and other things to do than just centering on lighthouses.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,836 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lighthouse area near San Francisco

Can you tell us what you mean by the "San Francisco area"--how far north and how far south do you have in mind, and about how many days in total you want to devote? Based upon your response, we can provide more helpful suggestions. Great idea for a vacation trip!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lighthouse area near San Francisco

This site might help narrow things down for you plus give you an opportunity to consider spending a night right on the ocean in one of the hostels.

erealms.com/californialighthouses/index.html

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
215 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lighthouse area near San Francisco

I have a week beginning in August. I have researched some of the information on the hostels and am considering those areas. My concern is that coming all the way from Oklahoma I want to be able to climb at least one if not more of the lighthouses. I have been to Point Loma so my direction will probably be north of the San Francisco area, but I would not hesitate in traveling south if there is a lighthouse I can climb. Any suggestions you can provide will be fantastic in planning my trip. I want to see all that I can see in that short period of time. I have read that the trip to see Alcatraz is an excursion worth taking. And a ride on a cable car is almost a must. Anything else I can work into the trip will be at the suggestions of others.

point reyes...
Level Contributor
46 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lighthouse area near San Francisco

Shirmart,

For your visit to the beautiful Point Reyes Lighthouse: There is a viewing platform above the lighthouse that is accessible all the time.

However, if you want to descend the 300 stairs to the lighthouse, you will have to do that between 10:00 am and 4:30 pm, everyday EXCEPT Tuesday and Wednesday. The inside of the lighthouse, the lensroom is accessible only when there is a ranger around. My advice is to be there at 10:00 am, or a little before and walk on down with the ranger and ask him to open it up. Or call ahead to the visitors center at the lighthouse the day before your visit and ask them when they think they will open the lighthouse.

Also, the morning is best as they will close the stairs due to high winds and since this is one of the windiest spots on the coast, it can happen.

You mentioned the hostels. The Point Reyes hostel is very nice in beautiful surroundings. You can't beat the price.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Lighthouse area near San Francisco

There's a lighthouse south of San Francisco, on the way to Santa Cruz, that I think looks pretty by the coast. It's called Pigeon Point Lighthouse. Here's the offical website to it:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=533

And here are some pictures of it:

rudyalicelighthouse.net/CalLts/…PigeonPt.htm

I like that part of Highway 1 (where the lighthouse is located). It's scenic, and it's between Half Moon Bay and Santa Cruz, so you can visit those places, along with Big Basin Redwoods State Park, where there are plenty of Redwood Trees to check out. A link to that is below:

http://www.bigbasin.org/

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,836 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lighthouse area near San Francisco

You can stay in a B&B inn at East Brother Light Station (www.ebls.org) located on an island between San Francisco and San Pablo Bays.

Also, Pt. Montara Lighthouse Hostel (www.norcalhostels.org/montara/index.html) about 25 mi. so. of San Francisco sounds like another place you may be interested in. Be sure to note the new directions given on the Website to Pt. Montara since a slide has the normal Hwy. 1 route from San Francisco blocked indefinitely.

If you haven't found it already, a great site to research is Lighthouse Friends: www.lighthousefriends.com/pull-lights.asp

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
215 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lighthouse area near San Francisco

Thanks to each one of you for sharing your ideas and insights with me. I'm sure my trip will be better since I have a little "forehand" knowledge. If any of you come to Oklahoma, please post and I'll give you my suggestions on what to see and do when your here.

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
215 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lighthouse area near San Francisco

Okay, a few more questions. Would San Francisco airport be my best airport to fly to to see Point Reyes, Pigeon Point, Point Montara lighthouses? I'm sure I will have to rent a car; what is the driving like in San Franciso and would it be easy to navigate. If I have a pretty good map, I usually don't have problems, but I sure don't want to get on the wrong freeway and wind up in "who knows where." The flights I have will put me in San Francisco at noon. Should I spend the afternoon seeing the sights there and then go to the lighthouses or go directly to the lighthouses and see San Francisco on my way back to the airport? I will arrive on a Monday and leave on a Saturday.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lighthouse area near San Francisco

Point Reyes, Pigeon Point, and Point Montara are all within 50 miles or so of the San Franciusco airport are are (obviously) located on the coast so it will be rather difficult to get lost trying to find them. You could fit the Pigeon Point and Point Montara lighthouses into the same day trip as both are both in the same direction south of San Francisco. The Poijnt Reyes light hosue is north of San Francisco and dont forget the lighthouse at point Bonita on the north side of the GOlden Gate, and the lighthouse at mile rock (seen from China Beach in San Francisco)

www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=77

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
215 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lighthouse area near San Francisco

Sean, is there a local DETAILED map that I can get somewhere that would give me driving directions? Is there a chamber of commerce or some entity that provides information on San Franciso that I could email and get some brochures?