We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mission or Lower Pacific Heights

Costa Mesa
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Mission or Lower Pacific Heights

Family of four--two children, 13, 15. We want a 2 bdr apt in an area we can get around easily and get a nice feel of SF. Restaurants, theater, maybe shopping. Which area might be best for this.

Ferry Building Marketplace
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Shopping Malls,
Treasure Fest
Flea & Street Markets,
Heart of the City Farmers' Market
Farmers Markets, Flea & Street Markets
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,633 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mission or Lower Pacific Heights

Are you looking at specific places in these areas? If so, what are the addresses or cross streets? This is good to know so we can give better advise.

Without specifics, I might prefer lower pacific heights with a family, though really this might mean more of the Japantown area if someone is just trying to make their rental sound fancier than it actually is. People play games with their neighborhood descriptions, so we need more specifics to make a good decision.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mission or Lower Pacific Heights

There are good and bad sections of the Mission. Lower Pacific Heights can border on some bad sections. I'd need the exact location (or street/cross street) before giving an opinion.

Both areas have good restaurants, shopping and transit. Not much theater in either place although there are some jazz clubs near Lower Pac Heights -- in the Fillmore.

Pac Heights is more upscale, the Mission is more hipster.

Costa Mesa
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mission or Lower Pacific Heights

I think I'm even more lost than I thought.

How about Alhambra and 18th Street,

Clay St. and Leavenworth

Kearny and Pine

or about about Castro and Market Street area?

We definitely want to be able to walk around and be near enough to take a bus or walk to interesting places, not just offices or houses.

And THANKS for the quick replies!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mission or Lower Pacific Heights

Alhambra is a short street in the Marina and not near either 18th St. or 18th Ave. Can you recheck that location?

Clay and Leavenworth is Nob Hill. Nice location and close to Union Square, Chinatown and not far from North Beach and Fisherman's Wharf.

Kearny and Pine is the Financial District. In fact the large BofA building occupies one of the corners.

Casto and Market is a good area. The immediate area is primarily commercial but there is a lot of residential close by. And it's on good transit.

For the most part ALL of San Francisco is on transit. I believe Muni makes the claim that every address in town is within a couple of blocks of a bus stop. There are some areas, like the Sunset and the Richmond, that are further out and would take longer to get into town, but there are local shops and restaurants in every neighborhood in town.

Perhaps this article from SFGATE will provide some assistance also. http://www.sfgate.com/neighborhoods/

Costa Mesa
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mission or Lower Pacific Heights

Thanks!

sf
Level Contributor
3,499 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mission or Lower Pacific Heights

If you're talking about the Mission it might be 18th and either Arkansas or Alabama, neither of which are usual areas I'd recommend.

Costa Mesa
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mission or Lower Pacific Heights

Yes, it was Alabama.

sf
Level Contributor
3,499 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mission or Lower Pacific Heights

Thats a transition neighborhood, (meaning used to be bad now in flux). Not a normal tourist location, a few good restaurants, but a good walk to transportation.

I guess it depends on price, but you may want to keep looking.

Edited: 2:02 pm, December 21, 2012
NoCal
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mission or Lower Pacific Heights

18th at Alabama might be some newer lofts built within the last 10 years. I would be concern as there might be the same problems as what you have on Beach Blvd in Anaheim and items left because of the problem.

10. Re: Mission or Lower Pacific Heights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 23, 2013