We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anniversary in January ideas?

Memphis
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Topic
Anniversary in January ideas?

Hey guys

My wife and I visit San Francisco every year in January for our anniversary. Next month will be our 6th. I need some ideas of what to do and some nice restaurants. Restaurant budget is $125- $150. Not wine drinkers. We are staying near Union Square and will not have a car.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,272 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anniversary in January ideas?

What do you like doing besides the restaurants ? Spa ? Dinner or Theatre -- You can check out what's playing when you are in town and have a pre or post dinner.

There are so many restaurants in SF . Perhaps if you narrow down the type of cuisine and or area that may help. Have a look at www.sfgate.com/food for the top 100 restaurants. www.opentable.com has its list of romantic, neighborhood gems etc. and you can reserve a table there

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,440 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anniversary in January ideas?

Outside of your anniversary dinner, sample some other menus featured during the bi-annual event Dine About Town from January 15-31. There may be new restaurants participating that have opened since your last trip here. The site will be updated so check back for details: www.sanfrancisco.travel/dine/dine-about-town/

Memphis
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Anniversary in January ideas?

As far cruisine goes, my wife is allergic to shell-fish and she is a picky eater. Maybe a restaurant with a lot of variety. We will actually we be in town from January 12-14 before heading to LA so we will miss tge Dine About Town.

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,272 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anniversary in January ideas?

why don't you look at www.opentable.com and find a few that you can shortlist and we can help you. Since she is a picky eater, not sure what we can suggest

Here are two classic old style SF institutions

Tadich Grill and House of Prime Rib ? Would one of those work ? They will be in your budget unless you order an expensive bottle of Wine

How about Italian ? Fino around the Union Square area. Perbacco in the Financial District. Ideale in North Beach ?

if you want to go upmarket with view -- Epic Roasthouse on the Embarcadero

Edited: 6:03 pm, December 13, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Tadich Grill
Tadich Grill
1,852 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Perbacco
Perbacco
738 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
The Embarcadero
The Embarcadero
829 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anniversary in January ideas?

Original Joe's recently moved to North Beach, right on Washington Square (Union and Stockton) and has been getting pretty good reviews. The location is lovely, looking out at Sts. Peter and Paul Church. And they have a very extensive menu.

Another option is Park Tavern on Stockton at Washington Square. I think the world of their pork chop.

Mentioned in this post
Stockton
Stockton
California
Park Tavern
Park Tavern
352 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Memphis
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Anniversary in January ideas?

The Boulevard looks pretty good. We are staying at near Union Square so the cab ride doesn't seem too long. What do you guys think?

Mentioned in this post
Boulevard
Boulevard
1,666 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
104 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anniversary in January ideas?

Boulevard has excellent food. They are pricey, but the food doesn't disappoint. It is also right on the Embarcadero, close to the Ferry Plaza Building, so you can also walk around at the Ferry Plaza Marketplace before or after a meal.

I think that is an excellent choice. Be sure to call and make reservations first. Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Boulevard
Boulevard
1,666 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
The Embarcadero
The Embarcadero
829 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Memphis
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Anniversary in January ideas?

I will definitely make a reservation. Trying to find Lion King tickets now.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,272 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anniversary in January ideas?

You can book on www.opentable.com Boulevard perhaps may be over the budget you have for a good dinner for 2 but it is a solid place. Nancy Oakes is a long time well respected chef in the area.

Mentioned in this post
Boulevard
Boulevard
1,666 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Memphis
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Anniversary in January ideas?

Well my budget is $125-$150.