We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

curbside baggage check in at SFO

miami
Level Contributor
80 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
curbside baggage check in at SFO

Any suggestions regarding this plan -

drop off bags at United ( Skywest ) with curbside service

bring rental car back to Hertz

Take transportation back to airport

Is it difficult to navigate around the airport?

Is the rental car area easy to get to from the curbside baggage service area?

How long should I allow for this process?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,828 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: curbside baggage check in at SFO

there is no parking around the curbside area. Even if there are just 1-2 people in line before you, you may not be able to park the car there as there is a police officer there. You should return the car and get the airtrain back to terminal 3. It will take about 10 mins via the aritrain.

There are plenty of signs to direct you to and around SFO and it is not that large an airport. I would suggest you drop off the car first. If you have a 1.30 flight getting to the Car rental place by 11.30 is fine and leaving carmel by 9 would be ok

www.flysfo.com has the maps to get you oriented

If you come down on Hwy 280 which I would suggest after getting North of Morgan Hill on 101 -- take 85 N to 280 N to 380 to the Airport and then follow signs for rental car return.

To expedite your return, I suggest joining the frequent renter program and renting with the number so that you don't have to wait to get a receipt for your car when you return it

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,097 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: curbside baggage check in at SFO

Unless you have a crazy amount of baggage, it's really easy to get from the rental car drop-off to the main airport. You should be able to easily roll your luggage with you, no stairs of obstacles to worry about.

miami
Level Contributor
80 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: curbside baggage check in at SFO

That's the dilema - we're going to have (4) forty pound bags.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,828 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: curbside baggage check in at SFO

You mentioned I in the original post and now you have "we" . It always helps to give details so that we are not guessing. If this is the case then -- you can drop of part of the "we" at curbside and then drive and return the car

This was pretty standard for us when our kids were toddlers many years ago and we had bags and strollers and seats

Yes after you drop them off you can see signs that will take you away from the airport to rental car return. You have to exit the airport -- follow signs for 101 N. San Francisco and take the next exit which is San Bruno Avenue which is where you return the car. There will be signs once you exit the airport for rental car return and as I mentioned San Bruno Ave East is where the center is. You can take the Airtrain back

Edited: 6:52 pm, December 10, 2012
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: curbside baggage check in at SFO

I would take taxi straight to curb side check in at SFO, from rental car drop off area.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,828 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: curbside baggage check in at SFO

Taxi ?really ? when there is a free airtrain and more than one person hopefully an adult who can do the curbside

The bags may not fit in a regular taxi

miami
Level Contributor
80 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: curbside baggage check in at SFO

Sounds good - thanks

1 more question

Driving up from Carmel on a Monday morning, should I take 17 or 101?

As mentioned earlier, our departing flight is Skywest at 1:30pm.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,828 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: curbside baggage check in at SFO

101 North and the route I mentioned in a thread below would be the least crowded and scenic route around 9am

9. Re: curbside baggage check in at SFO

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 pm, December 17, 2013