We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chancellor Hotel: Wes Tyler

Grosse Pointe...
Level Contributor
234 posts
202 reviews
Save Topic
Chancellor Hotel: Wes Tyler

I have scoured internet forums including Tripadvisor for a hotel for our first trip to San Francisco.

We chose The Chancellor Hotel for our trip next week largely because of Wes Tyler, the Chancellor's General Manager.

He is obviosuly proud of his hotel - he posts regularly here and stands behind The Chancellor Hotel.

That is impressive. We can't wait to go!!

By the way, the folks in reception were AWESOME. And I emailed asking questions about taking a shuttle from the airport and a couple other questions. They answered almost immediately with clear and useful information.

No wonder most folks who review this hotel on various travel forums rate it top notch in service!!

Thomas Graves

Berkeley
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Chancellor Hotel: Wes Tyler

Wow, very high praise indeed. Kudos Wes and to your staff.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,325 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chancellor Hotel: Wes Tyler

I wanted to add that Wes does not use this forum to advance his own business. That, clearly, can be done quite well by all his satisfied customers here on the forum. Rather, he gives very useful information to all inquistive visitors, including useful information and recommendations for other hotels if the need arises.

If that reflects the helpfulness of his staff, then it is a good indicator of the quality of his staff.

Alberta
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Chancellor Hotel: Wes Tyler

I agree his hotel is run with great efficiency we experienced it for ourselves a week ago. Did not have the opportunity to meet Wes, but the staff are great! Enjoy your stay I am sure you will!

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chancellor Hotel: Wes Tyler

I recently spent 4 nights there over Easter weekend based on posts here and it was great. Found phoning good as there was promo that wasn't on net and got twin-bedded room for $105 which I considered a bargain. Also had breakfast via room service (toast and coffee) that was very affordable. Enjoy.

Grosse Pointe...
Level Contributor
234 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chancellor Hotel: Wes Tyler

These posts are so encouraging.

We wanted a "special" experience in San Francisco for our first visit there.

From what we are reading, we will be returning.

If anyone has any "tips" for first timers, I'd appreciate hearing.

Any do's or don'ts which may not be common knowledge.

Thanks for all the encouragement!!!!

Thomas

PS: I was scheduled to climb Mount Everest in Nepal this week. There is a revolution and chaos going on in Nepal...so we all decided to cancel the trip after a year of training and planning. I had time off, so I asked my wife if she wanted to finally see San Francisco.

Now, I am so excited about SF the loss of the Nepal trip is greatly diminished.

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chancellor Hotel: Wes Tyler

I recently returned from first trip and because weather was rainy and cool didn't walk about as much as expected as I understand that is great way to experience city. A couple of tips tho' - buy MUNI pass as it covers Cable cars (which are $4.50 one way without pass), buses, streetcars. You can get at tour desk at Chancellor or if closed at nearby Walgren's which is open 24 hours.

Bus #29 takes a great route thro Praesidio and Golden Gate Park. We meandered about on different cross city routes that gives a feel for all parts of city. We invested in transit map which was very helpful. Many recommend visit to Alcatraz. I didn't take but recommend ferry to Sausalito (Golden Gate one) which you catch at Ferry Building at bottom of Market St. and walk about town - Foggio's at Casa Madrona good place to eat. Ferry (great views of SF) back to SF slowed down and went very close to Alcatraz. Ferry Bldg also has some great eating places and interesting gift shops- would have liked more time to browse. Drove through Golden Gate Park which looked like a great place to jog etc.

Had a good meal at Chez Lulu on Folsom - serve meals "family style" which means plates in centre for everyone to share. Generally found portion sizes in California way too much for one person so shared wherever possible with travelling companion. Basement at Macy's (very near Chancellor) has good food court area. Took bus to Chinatown on a Sunday and enjoyed rubbing shoulders with the thousands of shoppers.

Not sure how long your visit is going to be but if longer than 4 days suggest renting car and experiencing the coastal route #1 north of SF. Really enjoyed Mendocino and would recommend Mendocino Hotel and if you want taste of wine country the Anderson Valley near there very pretty and not as highly developed as Napa. Recommend Handley winery there.

Grosse Pointe...
Level Contributor
234 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chancellor Hotel: Wes Tyler

Wow, Avoca that was awesome. I just printed your entire post to bring with us.

I really appreciate these great tips.

I guess even the customers of the Cahncellor Hotel are kind and helpful!!!

Many thanks,

Thomas

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,601 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chancellor Hotel: Wes Tyler

Traveldoc

Avoca has hit the "F" key instead of the "P" key when referring to the restaurant at Casa Madrona.

Poggio is a good place to dine and I didn't want you looking for the wrong place.

Have a great trip

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chancellor Hotel: Wes Tyler

Not sure if you are going car rental route or spending all the time in SF. For car rental we took ferry to Sausalito and picked up Hertz car (not too far from where ferry comes in) and returned there and took ferry back to SF.

Grosse Pointe...
Level Contributor
234 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chancellor Hotel: Wes Tyler

Avoca,

That is another great tip. I had considered doing this (renting a car) but the process seemed too complicated. The way you are mentioning makes sense, and I think we will do it!!

Wow, I am most appreciative. Thanks again.

Any "must see" or "must stop" sites along the northern route?

How far up would be a good plan assuming we did a day trip??