We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dec 22-25 Trip to SF Area

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
219 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Dec 22-25 Trip to SF Area

Planning our quicky trip to SF for Christmas time to avoid the snow. (early 40's with 15yrs daughter) We thought we would head to the coast 22-24. Thinking Monteray Area, Hearst Castle, Driving the coast, beach combing, kite flying etc. We did Oregon Coast last year in November so we dont mind fog, rainy, etc on our trips.

Would like to have suggestions for a hotel to stay in that would be a good point to take in this area. Family friendly, Would like to stay around $125 per night, good with chain hotels. Any must sees/beaches things to do during this time of year.

Flight leaves SFO 7am on Xmas. Would we be better to get a hotel that last night at the airport or stay in the coast area and drive in early.

Thanks in advance!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,130 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dec 22-25 Trip to SF Area

The stretch from San Francisco to Hearst Castle (the extremes of the places you've mentioned) is too far to be done from one base.

Do you need to incorporate any time in San Francisco into this itinerary?

If you do I don't know how you're going to plan it.

If you don't I would look to drive to Monterey straight away on the 22nd. A hotel I can recommend is the Lighthouse Lodge and Suites in Pacific Grove. It's sleepy, comfy and offers a decent included breakfast.

Do what you can in Monterey/Pacific Grove/Carmel/Pebble Beach on 22nd.

On the 23rd finish up in the Monterey area and head down the coast - be aware that there could be landslides that would totally ruin your schedule! - taking in all the things to do along there.

Does Hearst Castle run tours on Christmas Eve? If it does I would suggest taking the first tour of the day - book it - then heading back north afterwards.

If there are no tours on 24th then you will have to time making the last tour of the day on 23rd. This is around 4pm. Book it.

Either way stay the night in San Simeon/Cambria. I can recommend the Motel 6 San Simeon. It's basic but comfortable and dirt cheap.

Then on Christmas Eve head back north and, yes, I would stay at an airport hotel that night. I can't help you with a recommendation on those but they are all chains and therefore quality will be fairly assured.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dec 22-25 Trip to SF Area

Cambria and Monterey have their own forums so i suggest you read about those places on those web pages and in those forums. There are suggestions on those forums for places to stay in that area.

The drive from SF to Monterey on Route 1 is a good way to see the coast. You may want to stay in that area on the 22nd and then do the drive from Monterey to Cambria on the 23rd and book a late afternoon Hearst Castle tour. Cambria would be the place to stay on the 23rd. On the 24th I suggest you drive back on 101 via Paso Robles (it is wine country if you are interested) to SFO and stay at a hotel there after returning your car. You can take a shuttle to the airport in the morning.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
219 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dec 22-25 Trip to SF Area

Thanks I will check out the Monteray forum!

4. Re: Dec 22-25 Trip to SF Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, November 22, 2013