We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Missing San Francisco

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,005 posts
169 reviews
Save Topic
Missing San Francisco

So, I've been away because I was in vacation on the Queen Mary 2 and got waylaid in Manhattan for the big storm!

All safe and sound. Even lucked out to have had two hotels with generators. And how released was I to leave the 45th floor of the hotel in lower manhattan (just across from ground zero).

Much relieved to have been 24 floors lower in Midtown when the storm actually hit. Fingers crossed that airports open tomorrow.

I've heard you've all been up to lots of stuff since the Giants won the series.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Missing San Francisco

Wait.... It was the QE, not the Queen Mary 2, right?

Edited: 12:22 am, October 31, 2012
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Missing San Francisco

Well I'll be..... It is the Queen Mary 2. I had no idea that Cunard has that ship.

Now I really want to know how it was.

Dr. Z

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,005 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Missing San Francisco

Nope QM2. Went from NYC up the coast to Halifax and then directly back with a day at sea. 7 days. Just bad timing with the storm.

I'll be doing a CruiseCritc write up when I get home.

Edited: 12:27 am, October 31, 2012
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,562 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Missing San Francisco

Saw you over on the NYC forum (we were there a month ago so it's incredible to see pictures of the exact areas we walked through then --- under water).

Take care of yourself and hope that dangling crane isn't anywhere near you and that things are gradually getting better for you and the residents. Flooded subway tunnels are almost impossible to fathom.

Hope you caught the games on TV. Everyone's in their gear, all over the place. The Bay Area is a happy place (and dry, at this point). Travel safe!

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,900 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Missing San Francisco

We're glad you're safe and sound!

I wouldn't want to be on the 45th floor either, hurricane or no hurricane.

Dr Z, the QM2 is the biggest ship to ever dock at San Francisco. This was maybe 3-4 years ago. It was a delicate maneuver to get her into the Golden Gate. The tides had to be calculated perfectly to be sure the ship was riding low enough not to hit the bridge. She was docked at one of the piers near the Wharf, which IIRC had to be modified a little to accommodate a ship of that size. I went to take a look, and throngs of other people were also there craning their necks..

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,282 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Missing San Francisco

Glad you weren't on the Bounty.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Missing San Francisco

Phew! That must have been an experience. I imagine the airports will be a zoo when they reopen.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Missing San Francisco

I've taken that similar cruise....Halifax, St Johns, Bar Harbor, Boston....

Normally very beautiful this time of year....not right now though....

Dr. Z

9. Re: Missing San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, November 22, 2013