We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SF 4 Day Itinerary (Day 4)

Honolulu, Hawaii...
Level Contributor
71 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
SF 4 Day Itinerary (Day 4)

Our last day in San Francisco. :(

I thought we'd have breakfast at Pats Cafe in North Beach. It's close by and the menu looks good. Then catch the 30 at Columbus and Bay to go see the Palace of Fine Arts. I don't know if we'll go in or just get pictures from the outside.

The only plans we've made for our last day is a 1pm sailing tour with Adventure Cat catamaran. My wife and I want to do a bay cruise and this seemed like the best way to go. We thought about doing the red and white or blue and gold but they both had so many horrible reviews. And the Adventure Cat sounds like a much more pleasant way to see the bay than to be put on a big diesel ferry with a hundred other tourists.

We should be done with the bay cruise by 230 so we have an hour and a half to walk around Pier 39 before picking up our luggage from the hotel and catch a taxi to the BART station at Embarcadero. Our flight leaves at 7pm so I figure if we get down to the Embarcadero BART station by 4 then we should be at SFO by 5.

Three and a half days just ain't enough time for SF. But I think we will get to do and see a lot while we're there.

Thanks to everyone for your advice. The posting of my 4 day itinerary and your comments has helped me make corrections and tweak my vacation plans accordingly.

See you in 10 days!

Dylan's Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Bike Tours
Vantigo Tours
City Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Urban Trek USA
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, City Tours, Walking Tours
Painted Ladies Tour Company
Private Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Food Tours
San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SF 4 Day Itinerary (Day 4)

I'd like to suggest an alternative to walking around Pier 39 for an hour and a half.

If you go further north on the waterfront, to the area where the Powell/Hyde cable car deadheads at Ghirardelli Square and Aquatic Park, there are more pleasant and interesting and less tacky sights. Wonderful old time ships on Hyde St Pier, the Maritime Museum above the beach at Aquatic Park, the beach at Aquatic Park,watching the swimmers in the cold cold water, strolling around and enjoying the (hopefully) fabulous weather.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,590 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SF 4 Day Itinerary (Day 4)

I second the above advice. I can't imagine an hour and a half around Pier 39. In fact, I won't even give it half an hour. Tacky. Fake. Tourist Trap.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
53,642 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SF 4 Day Itinerary (Day 4)

How about an early Dinner (I guess with bags) at the Ferry Building and then you can time your trip to the BART station -- you know how to get the BART schedule. Unless you have luggage to check in, 90 mins is more than enough time at SFO and your plan for an hour to get from Embarcadero to the security line sounds good.

Better than eating at SFO or heaven forbid inside the Aluminium Tube

Edited: 8:13 pm, October 26, 2012
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
17,715 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SF 4 Day Itinerary (Day 4)

I like the advice to avoid Pier 39 and do the area further west (toward the GG Bridge). Also, if you wander onto the piers around the fishing boats, there is a Seaman's Chapel (and great views) which is somewhat unexpected.

Honolulu, Hawaii...
Level Contributor
71 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SF 4 Day Itinerary (Day 4)

I never realized that Pier 39 was so.... despised. Although I'm sure I would've realized it within a few minutes. Ghiradelli Square and Aquatic Park sounds like a better place to spend our last moments in SF.

I also like the idea of having an early dinner at the Ferry Building? Any good restaurants in the area you might suggest? The Slanted Door looks interesting.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SF 4 Day Itinerary (Day 4)

Or you might like, next to the Ferry Building, a lovely Peruvian restaurant, La Mar Cebicheria, which has a deck out on the water, and narrow view of the Bay, and very interesting appetizers, small plates, etc. see

urbanspoon.com/r/6/572408/restaurant/Financi…

7. Re: SF 4 Day Itinerary (Day 4)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 29, 2013