We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oakland station

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Oakland station

i am traveling from lax union station to Oakland jack London sqre then getting the 6014 bus to San Francisco does any one know where i get that bus from when i get to Oakland? im abit worried as i hear how rough Oakland can be i am a British girl by myself and its going to be later at night time?

NoCal
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oakland station

It should be waiting for you out front when you arrive on the train. I take it you are taking Amtrak.

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Oakland station

yea i am ah OK i wasn't sure whether i would have had to walk far thank you :)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,759 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oakland station

It is the connector bus waiting close to thentrain as mentioned. It has a few stops in the city. I would have your ticket booked to the stop nearest your hotel in SF

Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Oakland station

Plus Jack London Square has a lot of restaurants and jazz clubs and stores. Newly redeveloped so you should be fine given the bus stops at the station.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oakland station

I believe the station for San Francisco is Emeryville. It was a few years ago when travelling between Sacramento and San Francisco

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oakland station

There is also the Jack London Square station called "Oakland"

You will be wanting to plan your trip from where the bus drops you to your hotel or destination, since it is late at night. Can we help?

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,983 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oakland station

Presuming OP is riding the Coast Starlight, the transfer point is Oakland's Jack London Square. The transfer point is Emeryville for the other Amtrak lines.

Jack London Square is fine, and you shouldn't believe most of the "Oakland is dangerous" hype. Crime in most neighborhoods is no worse than crime in any other major metropolitan city. It's just that Oakland's bad neighborhoods are really bad. I am happy to report that you won't be in one of these bad neighborhoods.

Anyway, the Amtrak bus will be waiting for you at the station. You won't have to leave the premises, and the bus shouldn't be hard to miss. Amtrak staff will be able to direct you to the bus if you can't find it for some reason.

As noted above, be sure to book your Amtrak ticket correctly so that the bus will drop you off at the stop closest to your destination. Please let us know if you need help figuring that out.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,273 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oakland station

The Amtrak Thruway bus ride is included in your train fare and there is no extra charge to drop you off at any of the Amtrak bus stops in the City. You typically book your dropoff location when you buy your train ticket, but there should be no problem changing your stop since your seat on the bus is reserved.

The main stop is the Amtrak station at the Ferry Building. It’s convenient for the Embarcadero hotels like the Vitale and Harbor Court.

The other bus stops are curbside locations with no Amtrak services or facilities:

Financial District, California and Drumm. By the California cable car stop near the Hyatt Regency hotel, and just a block from the Embarcadero station. The Fairmont, Mark Hopkins, and other Nob Hill hotels are a straight shot up the hill, but you can’t take luggage on the cable cars.

• Fisherman’s Wharf, Beach St. at the Embarcadero. Use this stop if you are staying at any of the Wharf hotels.

• San Francisco Centre, 835 Market Street. In front of the Westfield shopping center, across from the Powell Street cable car turntable. This is within a block or two of the Marriott Marquis, Palomar, Westin Market Street, Pickwick, and Parc 55. It’s the closest Amtrak bus stop to most of the Union Square hotels, a quarter mile (give or take) to the St. Francis, Grand Hyatt, Marriott Union Square, Sir Francis Drake, and numerous other hotels

• Civic Center, 1139 Market. Between 7th and 8th Street. This one of the skuzziest blocks of downtown S.F., with panhandlers, drunks, disturbed behavior, people asleep or passed out in doorways, and the doorways bearing a close resemblance to outhouses. The Whitcomb Hotel and Holiday Inn are in the next block, and why Amtrak doesn’t try to move its stop closer to those hotels for the comfort of its riders, I have no idea.

• Moscone Convention Center, 747 Howard 4th and 5th. The biggest hotel nearby is the Intercontinental. This stop also works for the Marriott Marquis on 4th Street.

• Caltrain Station, 4th and Townsend. No major hotels nearby. You would use this stop if you’re going right onto Caltrain for the San Francisco Peninsula, or to AT&T Park (baseball – where the World Series is now going on).

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,983 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oakland station

A couple notes on the above list:

1. The Financial District stop is the best one for catching a cab, as the taxi stand is in front of the Hyatt Regency.

2. Although the Moscone stop is walking distance to the Marriott Marquis, the San Francisco Shopping Center stop is still closer.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oakland station

Pier 39 used to be another SF dropoff and pickup. This was great for those going on a cruise (from Pier 35) and the driver would let us off there instead.