We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety of Union Square area

Bebington, United...
Level Contributor
268 posts
233 reviews
Save Topic
Safety of Union Square area

Hi

I am visiting San Francisco next June and have just booked 4 nights at the Marine Memorial club and hotel on Union Square. I have just noted some feedback about aggressive homeless people in the area. Can you tell me what the area is like days and evenings/nights. Are some people just being a bit sensitive or can it be a problem

Thanks

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety of Union Square area

I've been there many times and never had a problem. You will see homeless people and people down on their luck. Just ignore them, if that's your choice, and continue on.

You'll love SF.

Dr. Z

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,420 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety of Union Square area

It is a major US city and yes there are homeless and panhandlers. Unless you are very sensitive and would not like to see that, you will be ok. I would not give them anything. There is a reason they hang out there.

People who post are entitled to their opinion and there are times when people do mention agressive panhandlers. But the bulk of the people are not hassled at all. There is a difference between safety and being asked to give spare change in an agressive manner but I dont think safety is an issue in the Union Square area.

As far as Union Square goes, it is an area with a lot of hotels and major department stores and boutiques and plenty of visitors and shoppers and people who work in the area are walking around or are shopping or are using public transport. Long lines around the Cable Car starting point are the norm.

You should be ok walking around that area day and evenings. At night as long as you venture East from your hotel you should be ok.

Illinois
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety of Union Square area

It's not the best area, that's for sure. But you should okay as long as you have some street smarts and are comfortable being in a city environment. Most of the bad blocks in SF you can see coming for quite a ways. Stay out of the Tenderloin, which is south west of that location I believe. Though many people will tell you the tenderloin is terrific now a days and that it's really changed, it's not true. It's a pit, and there's no reason to go there unless you have to.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,420 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety of Union Square area

I don't know Husky82 what you mean by "it is not the best area" Are you talking about Union Square not being the best area ?

>>>Though many people will tell you the tenderloin is terrific now a days and that it's really changed, it's not true.

You've just joined TA today and perhaps you have been reading posts but I don't know where you are getting your info from. I have never seen anyone saying the Tenderloin is a terrific area.

Bebington, United...
Level Contributor
268 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety of Union Square area

Thanks people.

Sounds fine to me but i have a lousy sense of direction so will probably not know what is East or West lol

Looking forward to the trip

Jurneyman

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety of Union Square area

I've been taking my daughter to the Union Square area every summer since she was a freshman in high school, and though there are panhandlers out and about, we have never felt unsafe, day or night. Before her junior or senior year I let her and her friend go off to Chinatown without me because they knew their way around. I'm sure you will do fine. Keep your head up and eyes open just as you would in any city.

I personally love the area since it is so alive with music, people and food smells.

have a terrrifc visit.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety of Union Square area

<<It's not the best area, that's for sure>>

What rubbish. Union Square is a very safe and central section of San Francisco. Yes, there are some panhandlers around, primarily because there are so many tourists around and they seem to be the ones who are handing out money. Please don't. The city provides a lot of services for these people and often times the cash they get goes to feed a (bad) habit.

The Tenderloin area is nearby but if you begin to stray into it it's very easy to leave ... just turn around and return the way you came. And in fact, that is a good rule of thumb for any area in which you feel the least bit uncomfortable where you travel.

Like suzie's daughter I started coming to the city when I was in elementary school. By junior high we would come up on our own on the train. And I've lived here now for 35+ years. Of course it's a big city and street smarts are required but overall I consider it a very safe place. And a very friendly one as well.

Enjoy your stay.

Illinois
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety of Union Square area

<<<You've just joined TA today and perhaps you have been reading posts but I don't know where you are getting your info from. I have never seen anyone saying the Tenderloin is a terrific area.>>

I'm not sure what my join date has to do with it, but I didn't say it had anything to do with the forums. I have several friends who live in the city, one of them in the Tenderloin, and they love to say how progressive and charming the Tenderloin is becoming because they think it makes them seem progressive to say so. And so I'm warning the traveller not to listen to people that say that and to avoid the area altogether.

<<<What rubbish. Union Square is a very safe and central section of San Francisco. Yes, there are some panhandlers around, primarily because there are so many tourists around and they seem to be the ones who are handing out money. Please don't. The city provides a lot of services for these people and often times the cash they get goes to feed a (bad) habit. >>>

I said the Marine's Memorial wasn't in the best area. It's not. Used to stay there on business numerous times. That doesn't mean Union Square is unsafe. It's just kinda grimy and unpleasant around that block.

Edited: 5:45 pm, October 22, 2012
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety of Union Square area

I stand by what I said. There is nothing wrong with the area around the Marine's Memorial. It's 2 blocks northwest of Union Square. And north of the Square is better than south of it IMO. It is not grimy or unpleasant unless you cannot tolerate city streets in general. But I have a hard time believing that if you live in Oakland.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety of Union Square area

How is anyone here supposed to know what your friends say about the Tenderloin? When someone reads on TA:

"Stay out of the Tenderloin, which is south west of that location I believe. Though many people will tell you the tenderloin is terrific now a days and that it's really changed, it's not true. It's a pit, and there's no reason to go there unless you have to."

You have to assume that the people on TA have been the ones who have been saying that about the Tenderloin. No one has, ever.

Edited: 6:12 pm, October 22, 2012