We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill

After seeing the movie "The Wild Parrotts of Telegraph Hill" my family wants to see this flock if possible. Anyone have any tips on good places and times to see them on Telegraph Hill or elsewhere?

(I am reading the book of the same name as well--it is as good or better than the movies).

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill

Here is a site about them

http://www.markbittner.net/

No guarantees because they move around a lot, but you will hear them before you see them, very noisy!

You often see them in Ferry Park, in the morning or evening, at Drumm/Clay, or on the Filbert St steps to Coit Tower, possibly Greenwich steps, as well

sisterbetty.org/stairways/filbertsteps.htm

sisterbetty.org/stairways/greenwichstreet.htm

Go up one and down the other.

Alberta
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill

Hi we were there last week and walking down the steps of Filbert St. from Coit Tower about 4ish in the afternoon we saw them, and yes, you hear them before you see them. Enjoy!

Chicago
Level Contributor
690 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill

I liked the book but to me the movie is better because you see and hear the birds. The wonderful SF scenery is icing on the cake.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill

If anyone's interested, there are flocks of parrots all over the SF Bay Area. There's a flock of green ones in Palo Alto. There's a flock of grey ones in Sunnyvale.

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
549 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill

Gorgeous, gorgeous Parrotts...the blue one, Conner was the one that tore at my heart strings..

Darth, where are the green ones in PA??

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill

Palo Alto parrots

There is at least one established flock of parrots (not sure of the color) that reportedly is loosely on the Stanford campus. There was a second flock (These are the green ones that I've seen) in south Palo Alto that lost its primary base when the church they were using as a shelter was remodeled.

This flock visits other areas of Palo Alto from time to time. In the Barron Park neighborhood, they seem to have a decided preference for Loquat fruit, and you may hear them in such trees (and then see them fly when you approach). Have not been seen/reported in Barron Park since the late 1990s.

Sunnyvale parrots

These grey ones taken residence on the south side of the Orchard Supply Hardware between Sunnyvale Ave and Saratoga Sunnyvale Ave just SW of El Camino Rl. Their flights take them throughout the neighborhoods within a 1 mile radius or so.

Berkeley
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill

Anyone interested in seeing the wild parrots in person should check out www.sfcityguides.org

It's an organization that runs free walking tours of San Francisco, including one that visits the parrots. Look on the tour schedule under Telegraph Hill Hike. They have an extended schedule in May, including an evening Telegraph Hill tour.

jacksonville fl
Level Contributor
222 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill

This is why I love this website--what a cool story--I'm buying the DVD! We hope to see them when we're out there--in less than six weeks! Thank you, SF experts!