We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24 hour parking near Lombard St.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Topic
24 hour parking near Lombard St.

Hello I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on where to keep our car for 5 days while we are visiting San Francisco. We have no choice but to pick the car up at the airport and have it with us until we travel up to Napa and was wondering if there is 24hr lots to park in and around how much do they cost? Thanks!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,129 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 24 hour parking near Lombard St.

I don't understand the No choice part. If you are the customer or the traveler you always have a choice. There are plenty of rental options in SF that you can pick up your car when you leave.

Lombard street is not that short and there are plenty of motels there which have parking included. If you are not staying in a motel then you should look at

sanfrancisco.bestparking.com and type in your address and find the closest parking spot.

I am sure Philly streets are long as well so an intersection with Lombard would have helped but in this case you can find the closest parking to your place of residence. Cost will be around 28 to 30 dollars in most places with some giving you in/out privileges

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 24 hour parking near Lombard St.

Lombard Street is rather long ... where on Lombard?

You also have a choice of pre-booking a spot at a BART station. See "Airport Longterm Parking" here: http://bart.gov/guide/parking/index.aspx

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 24 hour parking near Lombard St.

Lombard Street traverses roughly half the City so you'll need to get a bit more specific. You can also try "Best Parking" http://sanfrancisco.bestparking.com/ and enter your specific location to see what comes up.

I'm a little surprised by the comment about having no choice to pick up your car at the airport. There are plenty of car rental outlets in the City and the money you'll be paying for daily parking will almost certainly offset the savings you'll get for a longer-term car rental.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 24 hour parking near Lombard St.

The address is 878 Lombard street and we are renting an apartment. We were able to Obtain enough points through our credit card for a free rental car but the only let you choose the option for the airport pick up and drop off which is kind of annoying, but hey it's free! I thought it would be easier to just pick the car up in the beginning instead of getting a cab to the apartment and then to the airport on day 5.What do you think?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,129 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 24 hour parking near Lombard St.

I don't know how it will be free if you have to pay 150 to 200 for parking. You can get to BART and take it 5 days later to SFO and pick up your car. It will take you about a hour to get there and you can drive back with you car and 150 bucks which you saved on a meal or two during your vacation.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,075 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 24 hour parking near Lombard St.

I would weigh the cost of parking the car for 5 days against the cab fare to the airport to pick it up. Somehow I think the cab will win and I would just leave the car at the airport until I were ready for it.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 24 hour parking near Lombard St.

I didn't realize parking would be that expensive so I think I will change my plans and pick the car up later. Thanks!

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 24 hour parking near Lombard St.

For round trip $16.50 one of you can take Bart to the airport, and drive back to get the other one. For your city transportation, get a Muni Visitor passports for 1, 3 or 7 days

Sfmuni.org

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,129 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 24 hour parking near Lombard St.

>>>For round trip $16.50 one of you can take Bart to the airport, and drive back to get the other one.

You mean for 8.25 one of you can go to SFO and drive back to pick up the other one. It would not be a round trip if they plan to take a cab when they first arrive which for them may make sense with luggage instead of BART and Cab

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,075 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 24 hour parking near Lombard St.

To cut to the chase. When you arrive I would either

1) If you are comfortable with the amount of luggage you are carrying, take BART to the Embarcadero Station and get a taxi in front of the Hyatt Regency to take you to your apartment.

2) Take a taxi from the airport to your apartment.

You will want to compare the BART fare from the airport for two ($16.50) plus taxi to your apartment on Lombard vs. cab fare to your apartment from the airport ($50?) vs. the convenience/inconvenience of the two.

When you are ready to leave have one person go to the airport by the way you choose to pick up the car and return for the significant other.

I know you will save money over parking the car in the city for 5 days.