We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sf to yosemite

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
sf to yosemite

after a few days in sf, we are renting a car and driving to yosemite....what will traffic conditions be like leaving from hotel nikko to the bay bridge and beyond?

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,280 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sf to yosemite

Time of day and day of week (also special days like holidays and to some extent the time of year) will have an impact on the traffic you might encounter.

Can you supply any details in when you plan to make the drive?

hlo

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,917 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sf to yosemite

I think the OP is traveling on Tuesday Oct 23 and headed to Yosemite West. I suggested shopping in Oakdale and entering on Hwy 120 via Big Oak Flat Entrance.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,255 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sf to yosemite

Avoid rush hour, leave SF before 1pm at the latest if it's a weekday.

Edited: 2:35 pm, October 14, 2012
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: sf to yosemite

yes, we are going on a tues....i was just wondering if there was much difference between leaving at around 9am versus waiting until 11 or so with regards to traffic...thanks for the replies

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sf to yosemite

In the morning that direction is the reverse commute. There might be a little traffic immediately in the SF area at 9AM but once you're on the Bay Bridge you'll be OK. Agree with simbot, get out of town before 1PM or so.

ireland
Level Contributor
76 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sf to yosemite

We did this trip on Oct 6h. We left about 8.30am and had no real traffic problems. If you want a bus tour in the park book it in advance.I dont know if you plan staying in the park but it is an advantage . We couldnt get a room in Yosemite lodge and stayed in El Portal . This is nearer than Mariposa . It was such a dry summer theYosemite Falls were dry andonlya trickle onBridal Veil Enjoy

7. Re: sf to yosemite

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 15, 2013