We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite for a senior citizen

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
286 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Yosemite for a senior citizen

I would like to do 2-3 day tour but don't think I could cope with roughing it too much especially if the weather if not good.

Is there a kinder option for those of us who are young at heart but not otherwise?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,360 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Yosemite for a senior citizen

restless....

Be preprted. The Ahwanee is a lovely historic hotel, but costwise is not in any way comparable to Currey and Yosemite View Lodge.

I would call it very "high end", not "high end budget".

http://www.yosemitepark.com/the-ahwahnee.aspx

Might we worth it, however.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
661 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Yosemite for a senior citizen

Oops, I misunderstood. I read the comment as "my budget is high end." Yosemite Lodge is a good choice. They've upgraded the rooms (compared to 10-20 years ago) and the location is great--food court, starting point for tours + walk to Yosemite Falls. We've stayed there (but are too frugal to splurge on the Ahwanhee)

Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Yosemite for a senior citizen

Sign up also for the email deals at yosemitepark.com. we have been fortunate and managed to get a deal at the Ahwahnee for $230 for our once in a lifetime splurge.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Yosemite for a senior citizen

You can book SF-Yosemite through Amtrak.com. Amtrak bus to Emeryville, then train to Merced, then YARTS bus to Yosemite (all booked together). Once in Yosemite you can easily get around Yosemite Valley on the free park shuttles. If you can at least walk short distances you can enjoy yourself quite well. No extensive hiking needed. The $25 tour mentioned above sounds good. You can get a good overview by looking in advance at the park's Web site http://www.nps.gov/yose/index.htm and going to the park visitor's center in Yosemite Village. I think Yosemite is a great place even to just relax and gaze at the scenery. Sure, if you can at least walk to Mist Falls you'd get more out of it, but really not even that much needed to have a good time. Yosemite Lodge sounds like a good option. Camp Curry pretty basic (canvas-sided tent cabins) and the Ahwahnee very pricey.

Edited: 11:19 am, October 12, 2012
15. Re: Yosemite for a senior citizen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, December 15, 2013