We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch in Chinatown/desert in Italian Section?

Texas
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Lunch in Chinatown/desert in Italian Section?

Know this subject has been discussed very often. We are looking for the cheapest, non-touristy, china town restaurant with of course good food for lunch! We are two adults and two teens. Any great shopping deals in Chinatown? What type of things do they sell?

Also, can we walk from Chinatown to the Italian section? I believe North Beach is the Italian Section--is that correct? Anyone know of a cafe in that section where we can get a coffee and desert? Any must see markets/shops?

Also, we are starting out at Parc 55 on Cyril Magnin--what's best way to get to chinatown?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
North Beach
North Beach
262 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lunch in Chinatown/desert in Italian Section?

Y Ben is a good place for Dim Sum and it is a pretty good value as well. You may wish to check it out.

Most of the things sold in China Town are Asian things. There are your typical Asian souvenir stores which sell everything from back scratchers to Hello Kitty and then stores that sell Chinese dresses and clothing. My advice is to just look around. You may also enjoy looking at the Chinese markets or stopping into a bakery and getting some dessert.

You can easily walk to North Beach. Just walk straight down Grant Ave. to Columbus Ave and walk down. It will take you to Washington Square and surrounding areas.

To get to China Town from your hotel, you can exit the Parc 55 on Ellis Street and walk over to Powell Street. Turn left on Powell (coming from the Parc 55) and walk up until you hit Post Street/Union Square (3 blocks). Turn right on Post Street and walk to Grant Ave (2 blocks). Go left on Grant Ave and walk up. You'll hit the China Town Gate in about 2 blocks. I hope that helps! There are other ways to get there, but that is the first that came to my mind.

You could also just walk down Market Street to Grant Ave and walk all the way up from there. Im sure you'll figure it out. : )

Mentioned in this post
North Beach
North Beach
262 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Columbus Motor Inn
Columbus Motor Inn
1,292 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Washington Square
Washington Square
116 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Union Square
Union Square
1,859 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Market Street
Market Street
507 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lunch in Chinatown/desert in Italian Section?

There are all kinds of touristy things available in Chinatown as Saks mentioned, as well as things catering to the Chinese community, like CDs, DVDs that you don't get in Blockbuster.

The emporium below the Empress of China has a good selection of inexpensive everyday ware if you're the type who likes to pick up things like interesting rice bowls, decorated ceramic soup spoons, or chopsticks, etc. I really like the Wok Shop on Grant Ave., which has cookware and a knowledgeable owner. My sister bought her wok there when she was visiting a few years ago, and I bought a very inexpensive Japanese-made mandoline for slicing. I'm going off on a tangent here, but trying to find a mandoline at a Western store gets pretty expensive. Granted, most of them are the heavy duty all-metal kind with no plastic handle or base parts, but sometimes you just want to spend that much.

As for North Beach ... Molinari's is an old family market. One of the family members was a former supervisor of SF.

Here are some good readers with recommendations on shops and restaurants that have some history:

sfgate.com/traveler/…nb.shtml

Also for coffee, the quintessential beatnik coffee place, Caffe Trieste, still cooking after all these years -- a half-century:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/04/01/MNGTRI1V1U1.DTL&hw=north+beach+neighborhood&sn=002&sc=473

sfgate.com/traveler/…chinatown.shtml

Mentioned in this post
North Beach
North Beach
262 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Caffe Trieste
Caffe Trieste
297 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Texas
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lunch in Chinatown/desert in Italian Section?

Thanks Saks and Better than Bings

Texas
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lunch in Chinatown/desert in Italian Section?

Saks,

Can I take a cable car at Powell to either Chinatown or North Beach? I'm having troulble with my leg and since this is a busy, sightseeing vacation I'm trying to preserve my leg whenever possible.

Mentioned in this post
North Beach
North Beach
262 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lunch in Chinatown/desert in Italian Section?

The cable car doesn't get that close to Chinatown, except the California Street line. From your hotel, it might be just as easy to take a cab, if you are trying to preserve your leg. It's not so much that it's far, it's that none of the bus or cable car lines make it worthwhile for you to maneuver that way, given what you say about your leg. You could walk one way and cab back another way, or take the 15 Third bus or 30 Stockton bus from North Beach back to Market Street, then an F-line streetcar back to your hotel.

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
North Beach
North Beach
262 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Market Street
Market Street
507 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lunch in Chinatown/desert in Italian Section?

Betterthanbings pretty much said it as far as getting there. The walk really isn't too bad, but if you do need to go easy on the leg, I would recommend a cab as well. It will not be too expensive and if you're injured, definitely be worth it! There are plenty of cabs at the Parc 55 so you could probably just get one yourself or have the doorman do it for you.

Texas
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lunch in Chinatown/desert in Italian Section?

Thanks Guys!!!!!!!!