We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant recommendations for birthday meal?

Macclesfield...
Level Contributor
50 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant recommendations for birthday meal?

Hello I'm looking for some suggestions on places to eat for my birthday meal during our trip in 3 weeks. We're looking for somewhere with a bit of atmosphere, nothing too fancy or posh!! Somewhere memorable! Pretty open to cuisine suggestions but not keen on sushi or seafood the rest is all ok! We're staying at the Donatello so somewhere nearby would be great :) any recommendations??

Thanks

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,828 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant recommendations for birthday meal?

FIno Restaurant, Grand Cafe, Restaurants in Belden Place (quite a few). Plenty more. You can go to www.yelp.com , type in your hotel address and search for restaurants and read reviews. Opentable.com has reviews as well and you can make reservations.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
17,096 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant recommendations for birthday meal?

You're honestly looking at 30-40 restaurants within walking distance of the Donatello that could fit your needs. Cuisines include French, Italian, Spanish, Mexican, Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Indian, Indonesian, American.....

Prices average around $20-25 for a main dish, more for items like steak or chops, less for pastas.

Belomiser has named some of my favorites: Fino, in Belden Lane I like Cafe Tiramisu and B44. There's also Sanraku for Japanese (not necessarily sushi, they have cooked items like tempura), Colibri for Mexican (not Tex-Mex, more central Mexican), Ar Roi Thai.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant recommendations for birthday meal?

Agree with Susan that there is a huge choice. I'll add Cafe Claude on Claude Alley.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,125 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant recommendations for birthday meal?

Cafe Claude is nice, or you might enjoy Jeanne D'Arc at the Hotel Cornell De France on Bush, just beyond Powell -- about a block from your hotel. Classic French cuisine -- multi-course dinner for about $40 and the wine list has many great Burgundies and Bordeaux at great prices. The grand marnier souffle for dessert is a must!

Macclesfield...
Level Contributor
50 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant recommendations for birthday meal?

Thanks for those suggestions and I'll make a note of those websites too!! I thought there would be a large selection I find it helps to have a few recommendations to hand! Cafe claude seems popular I'm gonna check that out

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,481 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant recommendations for birthday meal?

I would not do Jeanne d'Arc. While it is a "different" and "charming" place, in the basement of the Hotel Cornell d'France, and the decor is unusual .....medeival-inspired.... it IS a three course set menu.

We stayed there in a charming room. Ate breakfasts in the restaurant which were cooked to order and just fine, but I would feel a little claustrophobic for dinner, it is a narrow space, and probably more claustrophobic about no menu choice. Just my opinion.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,481 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant recommendations for birthday meal?

I had more to say but Trip Advisor timed me out.

So I will try to be brief. We are regulars at the Donatello because we have season theater tickets in the city. You will love the hotel. Do NOT consider the restaurant.

We love Fino, northern Italian with a great atmosphere and service. We have had spotty results in Belden Place but I love to walk down the alley and look at the menus. We have not eaten at Cafe Claude.My choice for your birthday dinner would be the Grand Cafe in the Hotel Monaco, two blocks from your hotel. A friend of ours who lives in the city considers this her "go to for a special occasion" restaurant. Large dining room with chandeliers, excellent menu, lovely ambiance. she wrote to me just today what a great meal she had over the weekend. I will try to give you the website in a following message since by computer is fighting me. (PS. the website has terrible pictures on it....they are combining the bar and the dining room and it just doesn't work. But you can probably get the menus.

Stay tuned <grin>

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,481 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant recommendations for birthday meal?

Websites for Fino and for the Grand Cafe.

http://finoristorante.com/

http://www.grandcafe-sf.com/

Whew...I think it worked. Good luck.

And a very Happy Birthday.

Please report back to us on your trip. It helps us to help others with the same questions.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,125 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant recommendations for birthday meal?

Not sure why Puter had no menu choice at Jeanne D'Arc. Last time we dined there, we selected from 2 soups, 3 salads, 9 entrees and 3 desserts for our four-course dinner. They also have a separate section in the back that would provide a very romantic, intimate setting for a special meal.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,481 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant recommendations for birthday meal?

We were probably off season. There were definitely not 9 entree choices on the menu, maybe two or three. This is a small hotel with a limited number of guests and seating spaces.

I still find the restaurant confining and somewhat claustrophobic, its location being in the basement, lovely as the decor may be.