We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pumpkin Pie in SF

Level Contributor
29 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Pumpkin Pie in SF

TOTAL bizarre question, I know...but does anyone know where I can get me some good Pumpkin Pie in SF? I've been here for nearly 2 weeks now, I leave on Tuesday and I want to sample some!

If anyone can offer any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. It will end my american adventure perfectly!

Best Seller
Napa and Sonoma Wine Country Tour
2,259 reviews
from $99.00*
Best Seller
San Francisco Super Saver: Muir...
1,579 reviews
from $117.00*
Best Seller
Big Bus San Francisco Sightseeing and...
Best Seller
Muir Woods, Giant Redwoods and...
2,472 reviews
from $62.00*
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,578 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Pumpkin Pie in SF

I have a pumpkin pie story about living in Cambridge, England one year, and taking cooking classes in "English Cooking" from a local college. It was getting to be our Thanksgiving time and I offered to bring the class and the staff a pumpkin pie.

What they said was....."A PIE made from PUMPKIN"? As in (are you CRAZY?)

Well, that was a challenge so I went to the greengrocer and said, "I need a pumpkin. He wasn't sure about whether he could get one, so I went to the regular grocery to find canned pumpkin. NOPE. But the greengrocer found a kind of smallish anemic specimen and I proceeded to try to make a pumpkin pie out of it.

It was a disaster. The pumpkin produced a thin, watery pulp with no taste. I put the spices in and took it to the college anyway. Bad decision. They will never believe that you can make a pie out of pumpkin.

Edited: 11:17 pm, September 30, 2012
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Pumpkin Pie in SF

I hate to say this but it's my understanding that canned "pumpkin" isn't pumpkin at all. (Dontcha just love that word "pumpkin?")

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,578 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Pumpkin Pie in SF

OH? so what is it....some kind of winter squash?

Ever driven by Half Moon Bay at this time of year? Traffic jams and crowds and fields of pumpkins, carefully picked and laid out in rows for children to pick the exact right one for their Jack-O-Lantern.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,927 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Pumpkin Pie in SF

I thought you could only use the smaller sugar pumpkins for pumpkin pie, and not the regular ones?

An interesting note on what's in canned: thekitchn.com/pumpkin-pie-filling-what-is-it…

The OP is going to know more about pumpkin pie than he's ever wanted to!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,578 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Pumpkin Pie in SF

Interesting, interesting. For years I used canned pumpkin for pies for Thanksgiving, assuming it was the 'pumpkin" I knew from my childhood. The orange squash I carved for my Jack o' Lantern.

I cry FRAUD.'

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Pumpkin Pie in SF

My experience with foreign visitors trying pumpkin pie is that it is an acquired taste, and many are not very keen on it. But politely try to finish their wedge.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,557 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Pumpkin Pie in SF

Mmmm. They had huge pumpkin pies at Costco the other day. Biggest ones I've seen. I think $5.99. And last year Costco had pumpkin cheesecake as well.

But homemade is still the best, in my opinion, to me they just have a richer texture... my sister makes them for Thanksgiving and the ones she makes are very creamy and smooth... I'll have to ask her what recipe she uses.

May sound weird, but I like to sprinkle a few chocolate chips on top of my pumpkin pie...

7-11 convenience stores right now have pumpkin spice flavoring you can add to any coffee you buy there...

Sweet potato pie tastes very similar to pumpkin pie, even though they're not the same family... pumpkins are cucurbits, the same family as squash, melons, gourds and cucumbers... and yes, pumpkins for pies are smaller, have a higher sugar content and typically look like this: burpee.com/vegetables/pumpkins/pumpkin-early…

28. Re: Pumpkin Pie in SF

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, December 14, 2013