We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from the airport to city, hotel

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calverton, New York
Level Contributor
331 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from the airport to city, hotel

Need to get from the SF airport to a nice hotel in the tourist district for one nite. Friend will pick us up the next day. We don't want to rent a car. Are there hotels with shuttle service? How easy would Bart be? Would it take forever? How far is the airoport from the tourist district? It has been 10 years since I have been to SF. Thanks!!!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from the airport to city, hotel

Have you actually decided on a hotel yet? If not, that is the first step.

That said, BART is quite easy. Take the BART train from SFO and if staying in Union Square, get off at the Powell Street Station. Cost is about $5.00 per person. It should take about half an hour to get there.

Hotels:

The Parc 55

The Palace

The Westin St. Francis

The Four Seasons

The W

Not sure what your price range is, so I used my own definition of "nice".

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from the airport to city, hotel

I assume the "tourist district" is Union Square. Based on that assumption...

The hotels around Union Square do not operate their own shuttle service. There are many at the airport. I suggest Lorrie's Shuttle. www.sfovan.com

BART is relatively easy. You catch it at the international terminal at the airport. The actual ride is about 30 minutes and around $4.50 per person. Get off at the Powell Street Station and it is an easy walk to most Union Square Hotels.

The airport is about 15 miles from downtown San Francisco.

Calverton, New York
Level Contributor
331 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from the airport to city, hotel

Actually I think I am a litte confused here. I always thought of the Wharf area, Ghiardelli, etc. as the tourist area. It has been a long time. Union Square is different? Anyone want to help me out? Lost again! Nuts!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from the airport to city, hotel

Fisherman's Wharf, you'd really follow the same advice as far as transport, only you'd take BART to the Embarcadero Station and then cab it the rest of the way to your hotel at Fisherman's Wharf.

The Wharf is a tourist area, but so is Union Square. The Wharf hotels are (in general) greatly overpriced for the kinds of hotels that they are and I personally wouldn't stay there for that reason. Union Square has the shopping and restaurants and it is very central to many areas that people want to see (ie China Town, the Embarcadero, the Wharf, etc...) Public transit is quite easy to catch and the cable car line runs right down the center. In general, unless traveling with small children, I think Union Square i a much better place to stay, but it does depend on personal preferences.

Calverton, New York
Level Contributor
331 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from the airport to city, hotel

thanks to all who responded. I will likely look for Marriotts or similar in the Union Square area. We are 2 adults in our 40's. Very active, athetic types, so getting about with public transportation should be doable. Any hotel ideas?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from the airport to city, hotel

The Parc 55 would be my recommendation. The hotel is 1/2 block from the cable car turn around, 3 blocks from Union Square. Shopping and restaurants are all around the hotel. You can easily take BART from the airport, get off at the Powell Street Station and then your hotel is only 1/2 a block away. They are a Marriot hotel. Hope this helps!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,603 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from the airport to city, hotel

I agree with Saks recommendation. If you do choose the Parc 55, see if you can wangle a high corner room. They are immense, with wraparound windows.