We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San francisco Bart to San Bruno

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Honolulu
9 posts
Save Topic
San francisco Bart to San Bruno

Will be visiting next month and would like to either take a cab or BART to the Tanforan Mall in San Bruno. Someone told us that the BART stop is not that close to the mall and we would still have to take a cab to get to the mall. Any recommendations/suggestions? Also since we are not familiar with the area, is San Bruno relatively safe ?

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San francisco Bart to San Bruno

Why do you want to visit the Tanforan Mall? It is by no means anything special.

California
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San francisco Bart to San Bruno

BART stops right behind Tanforan Mall. No need for cab. Safe wise, it's a remodeled Mall (2004) and should be fine.

Honolulu
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: San francisco Bart to San Bruno

Hey thanks for the replies. We would like to go there as I believe they have a Target and a Penney's. (I think that's the closest Penney's to downtown San Francisco). If there is a closer Penney's please let us know. We don't have either store here in Hawaii. They closed all of our Penney's stores several years ago. We understand there is the Westfeld shopping Ctr on Market but they don't have these stores/but they have a Bath & Body Works-yipee). Any ideas or recommendations are greatly appreciated...Mahalo.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San francisco Bart to San Bruno

For the bath and body stuff, yes, the [Westfield] San Francisco Centre on Market and 5th streets is well-located.

Also, two blocks in the other direction is a Body Shop at Powell and Ellis streets, and Lush is also on that block of Powell and above.

Hey, and go check out H&M on Powll and O'Farrell. I know they don't have that in Honolulu, nor the full-on Nordstrom department store in the SF Centre.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,521 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: San francisco Bart to San Bruno

As mentioned, the BART Station is right next to the mall. The Tanforan area is pretty safe. It's just the mall and a bunch of strip mall-style stores next to it. There's a police station or little building for it right in the station.

Tanforan, as seen by San Franciscans, is not really that special, since the stores there, JC Pennys, Sears, and Target, aren't really that high-end. Of course, they would recommend the SF Centre or even Stonestown, another mall in San Francisco. However, if you don't have a JC Pennys or Target in Hawaii, then Tanforan is the place to go. There are Targets that are closer than Tanforan, but aren't served by BART. The only place I recommend to visit if BJ's, a pizza restaurant there. It's a popular place, and I recommend a pazookie, a dessert they serve. I don't know if you have a BJ's in Hawaii, but I know there are a lot in SoCal.

Honolulu
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: San francisco Bart to San Bruno

Thanks for all the wonderful input! If for any reason we can't take the BART over to the mall, does anyone have an idea what a cab ride would cost from downtown Market street to Tanforan Mall? (will be traveling w/a senior). I'm hoping they do have a cab/taxi stand at the mall to get us back to our hotel? Waiting for your responses. Much Mahalo..

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San francisco Bart to San Bruno

I didn't mean to suggest that Tanforan is a place to avoid. I was going to suggest going to Stonestown Mall instead, which is located in SF, as opposed to going all the way down to San Bruno. Now that you've clarified that you want to go to JC Penney's and Target, I understand why you need to go to Tanforan. The price of the cab ride would probably be between $30 and $40 one way.

Honolulu
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: San francisco Bart to San Bruno

Thanks for your kind reply and all the information given. Now the only problem we face is trying to secure tickets to Alcatraz for June. (but I'm reading the website and seeing other responses). Crossing our fingers that either Blue & Gold or Hornblower sends info before we fly out.....Thanks once again to all...

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,858 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San francisco Bart to San Bruno

Tanforan has the only Penny's left in these parts. The one downtown closed many years ago. The Bart station is right next to Target. BART also stops virtually at the Westfield Mall. Use Powell St station.