We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxis in San Francisco

Wales
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
taxis in San Francisco

We return our rental car to Hertz on Geary Boulevard . We will need a taxi to Union Square. Would it be better to pre book a taxi I don't really want to be standing on the pavement for ages waiting with all our luggage. Any recommendations for reliable taxis would also be welcomed

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,099 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taxis in San Francisco

3928 Geary Blvd: San Francisco. Is that the location ? There are many rental car locations within walking distance of Union Square. including Hertz you may also want to call that local edition office and see if they will drop you off to your hotel as many local editions do. If not you could call a cab -- sure why not if you know when you are going to be there ?

Yellow cab, city wide dispatch, desoto -- plenty more around

Edited: 11:03 am, August 15, 2012
Laguna Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taxis in San Francisco

If you are staying at a hotel in Union Square I'd drop off the luggage and my wife/partner at the hotel, return the car and then take Muni back.

Or even better, drop the luggage at the hotel, take the wife/partner with me and go to one of the great Asian restaurants in that area like Brothers Restaurant (Korean BBQ), Genki Ramen or Burma Superstar and then ride Muni or cab back to the hotel.

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taxis in San Francisco

We found cabs to be non existent compared to NYC

Especially at night.

Wales
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taxis in San Francisco

Thank you for the suggestions. We are not too confident driving all the way into the city being Brits we are more used to driving on the other side of the road and inner cities in the U S A make us nervous. Having looked at where Hertz is on Geary Blvd it seems ideal. Will contact Hertz to see if they can arrange onward transport . Really looking forward to seeing San Francisco

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,780 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taxis in San Francisco

Cabs anywhere (except perhaps London) feel non-existent when compared to NYC.

If Hertz can't take you themselves, have them call a cab for you.

6. Re: taxis in San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:48 pm, October 13, 2012
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,644 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: taxis in San Francisco

Rachel, stop spamming the forum to promote your website.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,467 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: taxis in San Francisco

Where are you coming from? The Geary Blvd location is "all the way into the city" and doesn't make much sense to use as a drop off location.

There is a Hertz office right at the St. Francis hotel across the street from Union Square.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,552 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: taxis in San Francisco

I'll just add that if you really look at/plan your drive into the city, you can probably maximize the use of one-way streets. I would think that would minimize the "driving in the wrong side of the road" aspect/feeling.

That's my .02,

hlo

10. Re: taxis in San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:26 am, October 14, 2012