We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to eat in chinatown

uk
Level Contributor
14 posts
where to eat in chinatown

I will be visiting san francisco in may it will be my third time. while i am there i like to eat in chinatown please could somebody recommend a resturant because i,ve been to the same one twice and although its very good i would like to try somewhere different.

Visalia, CA
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
39 reviews
1. Re: where to eat in chinatown

I've eaten at the House of Nan King and really enjoyed it. It's near Columbus & Kearny. It's a hole in the wall. No ambience but the food is good. There was a line last time I went but it moved quick.

Visalia, CA
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
39 reviews
2. Re: where to eat in chinatown

I've eaten at the House of Nan King and really enjoyed it. It's near Columbus & Kearny. It's a hole in the wall. No ambience but the food is good. There was a line last time I went but it moved quick.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
3. Re: where to eat in chinatown

Oriental Pearl

City View

Both are great for dim sum in China Town.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
4. Re: where to eat in chinatown

Definitely need to try R&G Lounge. Authentic Cantonese style (Hong Kong) cuisine. You will see a lot of Chinese eating there.

uk
Level Contributor
14 posts
5. Re: where to eat in chinatown

Thank you for your help , I WILL definatly try one of the resturants suggested .

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
60 reviews
6. Re: where to eat in chinatown

I have done a lot of Tripadvisor research on this topic, and I was going to recommend R&G to you also. That's my choice, anyway! :)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
7. Re: where to eat in chinatown

I urge you to avoid House of Nanking but encourage you to go to Chef Jia's, immediately next door on Kearny near Pacific. It's a very good value.

Hunan Home's Restaurant, around the corner on Jackson Street, is quite good and a good value.

Yee's Restaurant on Grant opposite Jack Kerouac is good and very inexpensive thus an excellent value.

I recently tried to eat at R&G Lounge because of the high recommendations in this forum. It was packed with many waiting. Will retry.

The "Don't-miss sights in San Francisco" page geocities.com/iconoc/Articles/Sights.html has enough to keep you busy for nine twelve-hour days. There's a chart of annual temperatures as well as a link to current conditions. There are links to your best source of advice on WHERE TO EAT here, the UseNet Group ba.food, and the quite-good sfSurvey.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
8. Re: where to eat in chinatown

R&G Lounge is usually packed, but it is definitely worth the wait. The usual wait for dinner on the weekends is about 30min. If you show up before 6:30pm, you should have no problem getting seated.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
60 reviews
9. Re: where to eat in chinatown

R&G does not take reservations? For some reason I thought they did. I was thinking of hitting it up for lunch on a Thursday, hopefully it will be easier to get in then.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
10. Re: where to eat in chinatown

I'm not sure if R&G Lounge takes reservations or not. Every time we fly into SF, we just show up and expect a wait of approx. 30 min. You can call the restaurant for details. Below is their website:

http://www.rnglounge.com/default.asp

Just thinking about their food makes me salivate... I always have to eat their fresh steam fish with scallions and soy sauce sizzled in hot peanut oil, and their little neck clams steamed in egg broth. (the clam released all the yummy juices onto the eggs). Great dishes to eat with jasmine rice. :)