We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couple of quick questions

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
Couple of quick questions

You guys are great. I do not post often, but I read all of your suggestions. We leave for SF in less that 2 months. I cannot wait. I will give a report when I return.

First my husband is going to play golf in Half Moon Bay. He does not want to rent a car. Not really sure why, so can we take a taxi to HMB. Or I found something on the internet called Cheaper-Than-A-Taxi and they would pick us up at the Hyatt and come and get us in HMB. Your thoughts or suggestions.

Second can we walk from the golf links at HMB to the small town of Half Moon Bay.

Thanks

K9lover

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couple of quick questions

A taxi will be quite expensive from the City to HMB. So, I recommend a rental car as the least expensive and best way to get to Half Moon Bay golf courses, visit the town, do lunch or dinner or stop along the beautiful beaches and vistas, etc.

In any case, I just want you to understand that Hwy 1 at Devil's Slide between Pacifica and Montara is closed to traffic indefinitely because of major road fractures and falling boulders (www.coastsider.com). The alternate route is Hwy. 92 West from 101 or 280 and you can get stuck in 7-9 a.m. and 4-6 p.m. work commutes for up to an hour.

If your husband is playing the Ritz Carlton course in Half Moon Bay I would check to see what accommodations for transportation they have for non-guests wanting a round of golf. As well, you might ask if they have means to get you back and forth from the course to town (HMB) which is about 8 miles north and not really walkable. I do see their shuttle from time to time. (650-712-7000 or 800-241-3333 for Ritz Carlton). Wonder if Ritz in the City makes runs to the Ritz in HMB?

If other means do not work out well logistically or expense-wise, you can take a taxi to HMB from SFO or OAK airports (best bet is Pacifica-HMB Cab Co. @ 650-359-2295). I call a day or two in advance and they are always prompt. They service this area on a regular basis, know exact streets and quickest routes, and improvise for the closure at Hwy. 1 between Pacifica and HMB. I customarily pay $60.00 +/- one-way including tip from SFO to HMB. Basically, I tell them in advance I will pay $60.00; otherwise they might ask for $75-80 at the end of your ride. Let them know when you will be ready for the ride back.

I am not familiar with the "Cheaper-than-a-Taxi" internet site you cite.

Hopes this helps. There is a Half Moon Bay forum on T.A.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,465 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Couple of quick questions

A taxi from San Francisco will cost you about $110 each way. You could rent a car for a fraction of that

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Couple of quick questions

Sean is so right!