We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Santa Barbara without a car?

europe
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Getting to Santa Barbara without a car?

hi i was thinking of spending a few days in Santa Barbara after San Francisco. As i do not drive, is the best option Amtrak? any other ideas?

thanks for your help

acds

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Santa Barbara without a car?

There is the Greyhound bus, but it takes about 10 hours or so, and stops by a couple prisons on the way. (When prisoners are released, they get a bus ticket).

http://www.greyhound.com/

Amtrak costs more, is kind of slow as well, but much more scenic.

The other thing you might do is post on craigslist, looking to share expenses with someone going down that way.

http://www.craigslist.com/rid/

Definitely recommend Santa Barbara for a visit.

Explore here

http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/

europe
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Santa Barbara without a car?

thanks ill check out those links. greyhound is $59 for two and takes as you said 10 hours and amtrak cost $98 for two and takes 9 1/2 hours on train and the website says a hour on the thru bus. is santa barbara worth the long trip?? decisions!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Santa Barbara without a car?

My sons went to college there. We always loved to visit there. It would be worth it to me. It's the closest thing we have to the Mediterranean, and the Moorish style architecture makes it quite unique. Good eats, temperate climate, albeit on the expensive side. You can make it by car in about 5-6 hours.

europe
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Santa Barbara without a car?

thanks for your lovely reply, will def include santa barbara as part of our vacation!

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Santa Barbara without a car?

I lived in Santa Barbara for a few years. Giving up some time in the SF area in favor of 10 hours each way to Santa Barbara is only worth it if the weather will be in your favor, and you are into the geography of the area (beaches, hikes etc). If you like those activities, its a wonderful town. If you are into cuisine, theater, art and/or nightlife, you will get more mileage out of that time in the Bay Area (IMHO). Im into both, so do love Santa Barbara in September, but there's a reason I moved back to the Bay Area!

europe
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Santa Barbara without a car?

thanks. we are spending four full days in San Francisco (not including the day we arrive or leave), then heading to Los Angeles. initially we were just going to fly, but think we'd miss out on so much? i think Santa Barbara is only about 2 1/2 hours from LA. we will be on vacation in july.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Santa Barbara without a car?

Oh, if you are headed to LA next then SB makes a lot of sense! If I remember correctly, mornings are grey in July but then the marine layer burns off and the afternoons are nice.

Sierra club does some excellent hikes in the area - its a great way to see some of the trails and also meet some locals.

Im sure theres a Santa Barbara forum where folks can fill you in on the latest and greatest activities and restaurants. The only restaurant I truly miss is blueberry pancakse at the Comeback Cafe.

Have fun!