We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking Garages in the Middle of the City

Chicago
Level Contributor
21 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Parking Garages in the Middle of the City

I need some advice for FREE parking or pay parking in the middle of the city.....we're leaning towards Muni passes so it appears it doesn't matter where we'll park. Any thoughts?...thanks...

San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking Garages in the Middle of the City

http://tinyurl.com/aklc8

I am not sure exactly what you mean as the "middle" of The City, but this post should help you quite a bit. It has at least 3 pages of different suggestions. I wouldn't get your heart set on totally free parking without some restrictions (having to move the car, some areas require residential permits, etc...) but it has some good ideas and some cheaper alternatives than most hotel garages.

If you are flying in for your vacation, my advice is to ditch the car if possible. If you are going other places either rent the car for 1 day and return it when you're finished, or explore San Francisco on foot and with the MUNI pass and then if you're moving on to another destination, rent a car on your way out of town. It will most likely save quite a bit of trouble.

Chicago
Level Contributor
21 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking Garages in the Middle of the City

what I meant by middle of the city is...SF appears to be a 7 x 7 square.....right in the middle of the piece of land is what I meant....we're staying in Fremont for 2 days and driving into the city each day on a saturday and Sunday.....so I don't want to ditch the car.....we're flying into LAX and driving up a few days prior to that...

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking Garages in the Middle of the City

If you are in Fremont, why not take BART, no driving/parking hassles.

http://www.bart.gov/index.asp

Or BART in on Sat. Otherwise, there are a few open lots where all day parking on Sat is $5 (unless there is a special event that day). Tix at machines. There are a couple of lots on Main, between Mission and Howard.

Drive in on Sun. You can find parking in the financial district at a parking meter. They don't need to be fed on Sun (note--except around the Embarcadero and Fisherman's Wharf--7 days a week.) You should find parking east of Kearney, south of Clay, north of Market, west of Davis on Sunday. It's OK to park in yellow meters on Sun as well. Just check all street signs before leaving your car.

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
553 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking Garages in the Middle of the City

What makes SF great for tourists and locals alike is that you can cover a lot of territory on foot and enjoy it much more than if you were in a car.

I live in Fremont and except on Sundays (where it's easier to find parking on the streets of San Francisco) don't take the car into the city.

If we're headed for Union Square, we generally park in the Stockton street garage which has direct access to the freeways (bay bridge--880 back to Fremont).

As others have suggested, BART it for Saturday and other days, you won't regret it. You can get off on Powell street station (for Union Square). On Saturdays the BART systems runs direct routes to Fremont until early evening (before 8PM) but double check the schedule on their website.

Chicago
Level Contributor
21 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking Garages in the Middle of the City

Why didn't I mention BART?....from FREMONT?....Because it's $40 roundtrip for my family.....I'd rather pay $15 -$30 for parking on a Saturday and park for free or less in the city on Sunday......IF I take BART, I'll still have to take a bus or something else from the BART stations as they don't get any closer than 4th and Powell....

I appreciate the posts for the different ideas...thanks. much...

Michael

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking Garages in the Middle of the City

If you want center of town and are willing to pay, use this (22/day)

http://www.fifthandmission.com/about.htm

Union Square garage (30/day)

Sutter St garage (33/day)

www.sfgov.org/site/dpt_index.asp…

Factor in your gas and bridge fare ($3). Didn't know how many people there were as to BART.

You would be fine in the cheap lots ($5) as well. They are a short walk to Market St and lots of transportation options.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
869 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking Garages in the Middle of the City

mapail,

Twin Peaks is dead center...and has some parking I believe...and a bus. It's not a parking lot...just a hang out/view place with some parking. I don't think I'd leave my car there for hours.

The Stonestown Shopping Center may be a choice. It's close to the K-Ingleside...or the area around West Portal may work...Even closer, around the Forest Hill(near Laguna Honda Blvd) metro stop...less dense than the rest of SF...and quite beautiful. I'm working from previous experience...I lived near this stop for a few years; it's not a well known part of the city. The parking situation in SF is strained...and these areas may have more severe restrictions than I recall.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
869 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking Garages in the Middle of the City

What was I thinking...the M-Oceanview stops at Stonestown.

Chicago
Level Contributor
21 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking Garages in the Middle of the City

We're going to avoid the bridge fair by appraoching SF from the south and heading back over the bridges east bound.....because you only have to pay for the bridges going westbound correct?....

We have friends in San jose so we're going that way anyway.....

Thanks for all fo the advice...

Michael

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,486 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking Garages in the Middle of the City

The money you would save form not paying the $3 bridge toll will be used up by the gas you would use going the longer way around