We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

outdoor clothing shopping near union square

Kincumber, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
outdoor clothing shopping near union square

My husband and I are travelling to California in early October and will start with 2 nights in San Francisco near Union Square. We are then heading east through some of the National Parks as far as Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon before returning to the coast at San Diego. We were advised to leave our purchases of outdoor clothing until we arrived in the US as prices and range will be much better than in Australia. I was hoping to get some suggestions of where to purchase this type of clothing in the Union Square area from this forum. Also any suggestions on the level of warmth for this time of the year would be appreciated.

Thanks for any ideas you can give me. Marg E

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,524 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: outdoor clothing shopping near union square

Sports basement, REI, Northface, marmot and sports authority. Check out their online sites and compare prices. Their store locator can give you the addy in SF. There are a few on Post st

Edited: 9:15 pm, June 12, 2012
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
77 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: outdoor clothing shopping near union square

Be sure to also check out Marshalls (Market & 5th Street) and Ross (Market & 4th Street) because they often have Columbia brand at a deep discount.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,418 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: outdoor clothing shopping near union square

As well as the above it's worth having a look at Kaplans (surplus store) they have all sorts of stuff that might suit you.

They are on Market just past 6th Street. If you check out Marshalls as WISCGirl mentioned it's only a block and a half further down Market. It can look as if you are getting into a tacky area but it's quite safe around Kaplans.

Mill Valley/Marin...
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: outdoor clothing shopping near union square

There is a great Patagonia store if you find yourself near Fisherman's Wharf.

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: outdoor clothing shopping near union square

Mr. Kaplan has run that store for a long time. I shopped there as a teen. I still go in from time to time and look around. You will find great selection, and he is still at the register. An SF original, not a chain.

Edited: 3:40 pm, June 13, 2012
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,882 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: outdoor clothing shopping near union square

Don't overlook Macy's - and pick up their visitor passport at customer service for 10% off. There's also an Orvis around Union Square, but that's a bit pricey.

7. Re: outdoor clothing shopping near union square

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 pm, November 18, 2012
Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,418 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: outdoor clothing shopping near union square

I think the op has been and gone.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
15,414 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: outdoor clothing shopping near union square

Given that post #7 says Crocker Galleria "may be" something or other, the general incoherence of the message, and the link is to a UK company selling, apparently, outdoor clothing, I'm guessing this is a thinly disguised ad. I've reported it as such.

10. Re: outdoor clothing shopping near union square

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, December 15, 2013