We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry to Sausalito

Rotherham UK
Level Contributor
78 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry to Sausalito

As part of our trip to SFO in early June we plan to take the ferry to Sausalito, pick up a HOHO service and walk over the Golden Gate bridge.

My question is; how busy does the ticket kiosks get for picking up our tickets. (Have pre paid for both HOHO and ferry).

Regards Dave

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,515 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry to Sausalito

Hi Dave

Sorry are these all related and linked. The ones we see on this forum are HOHO from San Francisco to The Golden Gate bridge People then walk the bridge at at times go to Sausalito and take the ferry back. Going to Sausalito and then from there to the bridge would involve a steep walk uphill. perhaps I am confused about your plans.

Secondly there are many companies and I dont think a line would be long for any of them. And you mean SF rights SFO just like LHR are airports. LOL

Edited: 12:36 pm, May 17, 2012
Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,976 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry to Sausalito

I hope you get a chance to leave SFO and visit SF. ;)

The HOHO bus services operate within San Francisco and across the Golden Gate Bridge to the Vista Point. They do not go to Sausalito.

The ferry ride to/from Sausalito is spectacular. However, to get between the ferry terminal and the Golden Gate Bridge, you should take a Golden Gate Transit bus rather than walk. The pedestrian facilities along Alexander Avenue are insufficient, and the alternative route through Fort Baker can be quite time consuming. (The Fort Baker walk is fine if you have the stamina!)

If you decide to rent a bicycle, it is recommended that you ride across the GGB *to* Sausalito because of the steep hill on Alexander Avenue.

See Routes 2, 10, and 92 at http://www.goldengate.org for bus service between the GGB and Sausalito. These routes have stops on both sides of the bridge. Note that on the north end the stop is a little removed from the bridge itself, so be sure to check with the driver so you don't end up stuck on the bus all the way across.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,515 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry to Sausalito

davdaven. Looks like the OP has booked something already. Secondly. City Sightseeing does have an all loops tour that goes to Sausailto and then one can catch a hoho to Muir Woods as well. There may be others as well but that is one we have seen mentioned on this forum

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,976 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry to Sausalito

The Sausalito and Muir Woods services are tours, aren't they? The HOHO routes usually run every 30 minutes or so and loop around the City.

Wait... I see City Sightseeing is doing HOHO service to Sausalito now. I wonder when that started! I guess they wanted to set themselves apart from the other tour operators.

Although shown on the HOHO map, the service to Muir Woods is still scheduled as more of a tour than an actual HOHO service. Ditto for the Golden Gate Park route.

Rotherham UK
Level Contributor
78 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry to Sausalito

Sorry for any confusion (probably due to being a little brief); but to clarify things a little more(?).

I have purchased a ferry ticket (online to collect from Blue&Gold ticket kiosk at pier 41) to Sausalito with the idea of taking in the view of the bay.

My planned return leg to SF (apologies for the non PC ref to SFO!) is to walk the Golden Gate Bridge. I have purchased City Sightseeing Tour tickets whose loop includes Sausalito from Fisherman’s Wharf stopping at either side of the bridge.

So; ferry to Sausalito; HOHO to bridge; walk bridge; HOHO back to SF.

Is it feasible?

Regards Dave

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,515 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry to Sausalito

Here is their map

city-sightseeing.us/images/sanfranciscotourm…

and as you can see, it starts the other way from SF and then goes to Sausalito. The Stops on the Golden Gate bridge are B4 and B5 and they are on the Northbound 101 side of the bridge(not to be confused with the North and South of the bridge) and so you cannot get on in Sausalito and get off on the Bridge as the next stop will be B7 in SF. There are no stops on 101 S across the bridge so you cannot get on or off

Why not do it the way it is designed to be done. Take the Bus to B4, walk the bridge board it again and B5 and get off at B6 and take the ferry back.

Edited: 4:37 pm, May 17, 2012
Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,976 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry to Sausalito

The challenge here is that you bought a ferry ticket for Blue & Gold Fleet. This really limits you, as Golden Gate Ferry is the primary operator to/from Sausalito.

If it is just a regular ticket and not some sort of reservation, you can make the most of it by riding the ferry *from* Sausalito *to* San Francisco. That will allow you to ride the HOHO bus to B4, walk to B5, then take the HOHO bus again to B6. It's much simpler this way.

Chances are you will have to wait a while for a Blue & Gold Fleet ferry no matter the direction you go. If you can cancel your ticket, that would be best. That way you can take whichever ferry comes first (probably Golden Gate Ferry). The ferries never sell out.

Rotherham UK
Level Contributor
78 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry to Sausalito

Thanks for your comments.

I assummed (wrongly) that the HOHO service would cater for my original plan of ferry to Sausalito; HOHO to bridge; walk bridge; HOHO back to SF.

However, there's no reason I why I can't work it the other way around (as Belomiser suggests),

Dont know at this stage if my B&G ferry tickets allow for travel Sausalito to SF (I've emailed asking).

Thanks once again for your input :-)

9. Re: Ferry to Sausalito

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, June 21, 2013