We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things not to miss with kids

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Things not to miss with kids

Hi reading these threads has really inspired us with our planning for our trip next year to San Francisco and surrounding area to celebrate my 40th. I have a couple of questions 1) what should we definitely fit in with travelling with kids? - ours will be 5 and 8. 2) we want to spend about 5 nights in SF and then we have a bit of a dilemma on what to do next. We plan to spend in total about 2.5 / 3 weeks on our hols which will need to be taken in August during the school summer holidays. We do want to go to Yosemite, is camp curry a good idea? Also thought about doing Highway 1 along to Big Sur and Monteray. We did toil with the idea of going to LA and doing Disneyland for 3 days to end our holiday and flying home to the UK from LAX. Not sure if this is worth - any views on this?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things not to miss with kids

Sure. But you better book Yosemite now and others very soon as you may run into issues One normally plans the overall itinerary in the CA forum and then one goes to the local forums to plan details on an area such as this forum for SF. If you post the same details in each thread, you will get too many answers on the other parts of Ca. (just like I am doing here)

For things with kids in SF, have a look at the top questions and this trip report will help you

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k533758…

and this

travelforkids.com/Funtodo/…sanfrancisco.htm

For the rest of your trip, this could be a route but as I mentioned, please post just that part in the CA forums. If you need info on Yosemite, Curry Village etc, please look at the top questions in the Yosemite forum. Curry village is great with families. Camping but with beds :-)

SF -- 4 days and then rent a car

Yosemite -- 3 days

Monterey Carmel 2 days

Santa Barbara 1 day

Los Angeles -- 4 days

Anaheim - 4 days

San Diego 3 days

Edited: 5:26 pm, May 11, 2012
London, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things not to miss with kids

Thanks for the advice and will post other queries to main CA forum.

Planning this trip for next August - 2013 so I should be okay to book Yosemite accomm and Alcatraz tour this summer?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things not to miss with kids

Yosemite books a year in advance and the Yosemite forum has Top Questions on the process (and that means exactly 365 days, not a minute less -- you'll want to be online at whatever the opening time for rezzies is).

Alcatraz tix are available 90 days in advance. They sell out but usually 2-4 weeks before. If you're interested in the night tour, book 4-6 weeks out.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,975 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things not to miss with kids

One of our favorite activities in SF was the Ride the Ducks tour (leaves from both Fisherman's Wharf area and Union Square). We're in our late 60's, but the tour had all ages. Everyone had an absolute blast -- the driver/guide was incredible. It's a great way to get an overview of the downtown and waterfront area. Part of the tour takes you into the water by the Giants' baseball park. You and your kids will love it!

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things not to miss with kids

To address you kids question, one word: Exploratrium.

Okay, more than one . . . also the Cable Car Museum.

That is all (at least for now),

hlo

London, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things not to miss with kids

Thanks all for your ideas and advice. We have spent all day planning our trip and very excited.

california
Level Contributor
365 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things not to miss with kids

Yes as someone who grew up in the area - definitely Exploratorium.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,572 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things not to miss with kids

I've you have a kid's science museum near where you live, I don't know that I'd go to the Exploratorium. I'd take the kids to the Musee Mecanique at Fisherman's Wharf instead.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,711 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things not to miss with kids

The Musee Mechanique is just old timey mechanical game things. Fun for some kids. A precursor to video games.

The Exploratorium is NOT just a 'science museum". It is a fantastic hands-on adventure. Every time I have taken kids there is a pull to get them to leave.

The two should not be mentioned in the same breath. They are not equivalent.

Edited: 10:11 pm, May 12, 2012
Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,572 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things not to miss with kids

I wasn't trying to imply the Exploratorium and Musee Mecanique were both science museums.

I've been to kids' science museums in lots of cities. Most are pretty similar. I'd imagine there's already something like the Exploratorium in London, so why spend time at the one in San Francisco?