We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

romantic restaurants in north beach

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
345 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
romantic restaurants in north beach

My husband and I will be visiting San Fran. during valentines day. i was looking for an authentic italian restaurant in North Beach that is romantic. If not there than any restaurant near Union Square.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
869 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: romantic restaurants in north beach

There is a wonderful Sicilian Trattoria that may fit the bill...Caffe Sport, Green and Broadway, features very rich food, seafood and pasta...unbelievable Pesto...all in a very colorful atmosphere...all with great deal of garlic. It's even reasonably priced...about $15/20 per entree.

pacifica
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: romantic restaurants in north beach

I had the worst time ever at Cafe Sport in North Beach; although its authentic Sicilian food the seafood taste frozen and the service was bad. They only take cash and the atmosphere is unique but has this stale smell. If you like linguarian food that's high qualty and uses organic produce try Rose Pistola, it's alittle furthur down Columbus. There's a place right across the street from it that's good too. Calzones and stinking rose are not authentic but are popular places.

san francisco, ca
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: romantic restaurants in north beach

i have had a very memorable evening at Fior d'Italia.

here is a review from citysearch.com:

Billing itself as the oldest Italian restaurant in the United States, this North Beach icon has been open since 1886. The crowd is generally older and upscale, with many Italian expatriates who generally stick to the bar overlooking Washington Square Park. Career waiters still wear tuxedos, hustling through the high-ceilinged dining rooms. The menu is strictly traditional, including meat-filled cannelloni and lasagna, osso bucco and veal parmigiana, all covered in old-school red sauce.

san jose ca
Level Contributor
94 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: romantic restaurants in north beach

I've been to Cafe Sport a couple of times and although I liked it, I would not describe it as romantic. Calzone's and Stinking Rose are touristy (but I admit I haven't eaten at either). The only "romantic" restaurant I know of in Union Square in Cafe Jacqueline. But that's French. There's also a new Brazilian place that's opened (for all of you locals it was where Jianna once was on Stockton) and it looks fairly romantic and is getting some good buzz. I plan on trying it myself very soon.

One Northern Italian restaurant that is known for being romantic is Acquerello on Sacramento between Polk and Van Ness. There's one posting about it on this site if you want to check it out.

Paris
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: romantic restaurants in north beach

As everything at Stinking Rose is garlic laced, I would not consider it as romantic and would avoid it for a Valentine's meal.