We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping for clothes (cheap basics)

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
42 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping for clothes (cheap basics)

Hi everyone,

My husband and I (late 20's/early 30's) are coming to San Francisco in September this year, staying near Union Square, and thought that we would pick up some cheap clothing basics (singlets, hoodies/cardies, t-shirts, underwear) for our trip and to bring home with us. The NZ dollar is reasonably favourable for us currently and I have heard from friends that the US is a good place to pick up clothes so we thought we'd pack light and stock up whilst over there.

I know from doing searches on here that the likes of Walmart and Target aren't particularly convenient (and it looks like the Target at Metreon isn't due to open until October so we will just miss it) and don't seem to be highly regarded by many either.

So really my question is, would you recommend that we take public transport to Target (I think you take BART to Tanforan/San Bruno), which seems to be the more easily accessible of the two, or is there another store(s) you would recommend?

Thanks for your help:)

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,254 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping for clothes (cheap basics)

Aren't cheap basics the things you should be getting at home and better and harder to find brands the things you get when you're in the U.S. with the favourable exchange rate?

Isn't a cheap t-shirt is still a cheap t-shirt in New Zealand?

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
42 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping for clothes (cheap basics)

From what I understand even the basics will be about half the price, if not more. And yes, we will look at the more expensive brands and harder to get items but the plan is to pack very light and stock up on all clothes whilst over there. The basics we need first - which is why I'm asking about a Target-type store - and then I hope to get a bit of shopping in at other times, although do have a husband who doesn't like to shop.

I have already got some good info from previous posts about good shopping areas for the boutique-y type stuff, just asking now about basics. Appreciate any help in this area.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,628 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping for clothes (cheap basics)

I have heard often here that prices in the US are quite low compared to Australia and NZ.

Macy's on Union Square and the Westfield Center on Market also give a discount card to foreign visitors -- all you need to do is show your passport at Customer Service to pick one up. That's an additional 10% (I think -- at least anyway).

So you might be happy with the prices shopping in downtown (and heaven knows SF needs the sales tax revenue -- remember that is about 8% and added onto the tagged price wherever you shop).

If you really want to go to Target, they do have great prices, I buy most of my workout shirts, etc. there. It's name brand stuff they're selling. But you will have to go out to Tanforan so it's up to you if you want to spend your vacation time doing that (plus add on the $4.25 pp each way BART fare).

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,621 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping for clothes (cheap basics)

Some of the shops in Chinatown sell really cheap T-shirts.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,286 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping for clothes (cheap basics)

I agree with Ramblin Sal that you will be pleasantly surprised by prices here in our mall stores. I'd just go to the ones nearby ( mentioned above) and look around before you trek out to Target.

California City...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping for clothes (cheap basics)

Agree with ThanksSocialSecurity, I tried shopping in Chinatown and the prices are affordable. :)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,969 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping for clothes (cheap basics)

For discount stores downtown, you can look at Ross and Marshalls which are east and west directly across the street of the block on market with the Westfield Center. Burlington Coat Factory is also not far south of Market. The two easily accessible Target stores by Bart are the one you mentioned and Walnut Creek. I believe the Tanforan one is a shorter Bart ride from downtown (check schedules to be sure).

Macy's can be very reasonably priced when things are on their better sales (such as their "one day sales" which are usually more like a weekend sale and happen maybe every few months). They always have something on some kind of sale, though it may not be the items you want.

london
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping for clothes (cheap basics)

There's a gigantic old navy store right near there. It's kind of like a cheap gap although the quality's not as good. It's great for cheap t_shirts, Jeans etc.

vancouver
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping for clothes (cheap basics)

I bought a pair of shoes and other stuff at Ross ( on Market and Bay st) its quite cheap BUT they are like Winners in that they just get overstock etc from other sources, so it can be hit and miss

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
228 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping for clothes (cheap basics)

As mentioned above, Old Navy (owned by The Gap) is a good bet, located at Market and 4th St. Also, H&M (UK brand) with several locations (Post St, Westfield Mall) all within a couple of blocks of each other near Union Square. I don't recommend spending your vacation time just going to a Target or Walmart, unless you simply want to check out a slice of American suburban living.