We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation In SF

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Topic
transportation In SF

We will stay with our family in Hayward during Christmas. For a one day tour in SF, is it advisable to drive into town? I am concerned about the high cost on parking downtown in SF.

Taxis & Shuttles
Pleasant Limo
Taxis & Shuttles
Five Emerald Limousine
Wine Tours & Tastings , Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Columbus OHIO
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation In SF

Parking Is expensive close to the Pier39 it can be as much as 25.00 for a day

I Paid 10.00 at a parking lot about 4 blocks in on columbus and lombard street

and on a Sunday I paid nothing Parking About 3 blocks in from pier 1 close to the Safe Way grocery store

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation In SF

If you are planning on going anywhere downtown, I would definitely take mass transportation (BART and then MUNI once you are in the City) instead of driving. The Union Square area is a nightmare for cars during Christmas time. Depending on how many family members you have, it might actually cost more to take BART than it would to drive and pay for parking and the bridge toll. However, it is worth the headache you will save by not having to maneuver through holiday traffic and then fighting over a parking spot.

One exception:

If you plan on spending most of your time in Golden Gate Park, as opposed to shopping downtown, then driving might be the better option. There is usually plenty of parking in the park regardless of what time of year it is.

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
40 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation In SF

above post is right....trying to drive around Union Square at Christmas will tear your nerves apart, especially in a town you don't know. IF you have a lot of family members, the BART trip could get pricey....but very easy on everyone's tempers! Even if you're willing to pay the parking near UnionSquare, the garages fill up so fast at this time of year...then you're driving around -- in horrible traffic! -- trying to find the nearest garage, and if you don't know your way around, you could be in for a nightmare of trying to watch for a parking sign, not crash into anybody, and not have anybody rearend your car!

Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question