We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi fare

Weymouth, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi fare

how mush should it cost ( roughly ) from San francisco airport to

181 3rd Street San Francisco, California 94103

taxi for four adults with luggage?

please

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,685 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi fare

sf.taxiwiz.com is your friend. The fare should be around 40 plus tip when you are travelling without traffic. With traffic it will be more. I presume this is the W hotel.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi fare

Taxi Wiz still has not updated the fares since the last increase some months ago. It calculates the fare as $45. I'd say it'll be $50 or so.

If you wish to do the math, see #5 here: tripadvisor.com/…38345856

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,685 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi fare

Or you can take BART to Powell Street and walk just one block to the W. It will cost you about 33 with or without traffic and the travel time is 35 minutes and a faster way to get there during the rush hour if you can wheel your bags to the hotel along a flat 3rd street

Sal -- taxiwiz shows me 35 to that place and I added 5 more to adjust for the fare change -- perhaps it is 20% increase so the 5 may not be enough :-)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi fare

Hmmmm, now it's showing me $37 on the meter. But you're right, with the increasse it'll be in the $40-45 range now.

I also agree with you on taking BART. At high traffic times, it will likely be faster. Just depends on the amount of luggage the OP has.

If the OP is coming off an International Flight the BART station is walking distance from the Intl Terminal. www.flysfo.com for a terminal map.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,954 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi fare

We are having the debate of taxi or bart to Chancellar Hotel at 1:00PM on a Saturday afternoon (april 7th before Easter).

How will the traffic be on a Saturday afternoon?

Looks like the cost would be about $45-$50 each way for a taxi.

Last time my wife went she took a shared shuttle and they stacked the luggage to the roof and she was afraid of them stopping fast and having the luggage falling on her head. She has neck issues already so we are very concerned with that happening.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,685 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi fare

Sat should be fine traffic wise. In fact any day should be fine at 1 or 2 pm. Chancellor is less than a 10 mins walk from BART and if you have bags with wheels, you should be ok.

It could get to be a very long walk if your wife stops and wants to window shop as there are stores enroute and I think it is a dangerous walk if you know what i mean ;-)

Edited: 11:37 am, March 06, 2012
--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi fare

1. It would appear that "TaxiWiz" isn't much of a friend if you have to manually adjust the estimated fares. It would also make sense for you to warned people that adjustments are needed rather than just referring them to the TaxiWiz website.

2. As the percentage price change on the fixed (flag drop) and variable (per fifth mile) components of taxi fares was different (14.5% and 22.2% respectively), you can't assign a single multiplier value to the TaxiWiz estimated fares and expect to come up with the new fare. The $2 airport surcharge which didn't change with the last round of fare hikes further damages the "multiply by" method of estimation.

3. I haven't hammered a bunch of numbers through the TaxiWiz website to verify it, but it appears that they're erroneously estimating fares based on a per-mile rate rather than the per fifth-mile rate actually specified in the City ordinances and used by taxi meters. This might account for the odd gaps and jumps in TaxiWiz estimated taxi fares.

4. Traffic on the southern approach to San Francisco on Saturdays varies depending on what kind of activities are occurring; baseball games at Phone Park particularly screw things up, forcing traffic from I-280 onto Highway 101. On I-280 baseball games can cause a backup to Mariposa as well as the surface streets around King and the Embarcadero, unrelated to baseball games portions of the Embarcadero can also get jammed for unknown reasons. On Highway 101 things can jam up on a portion or all of Highway 101 between the101/280 split and the Bay Bridge approach.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,685 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi fare

How much do you charge for the Ferrari ride from SFO to the hotel of choice or even better how much is it to rent that Ferrari ? Wink Wink

And are there some new rumors about the Phone park ? is someone acquiring ATT ? Perhaps a foreign Telco ?

9. Re: Taxi fare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:40 am, June 18, 2013