We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire - Premium Package??!

Bristol
Level Contributor
115 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire - Premium Package??!

Hi All,

Im looking to hire a car through car hire 3000, and they do a premium package that includes a tank of fuel and an additonal driver for approx $55 more than the basic package.

Is this a good deal? What is the current cost of fuel in SF? I guess I would just return the car with no fuel? Has anyone done a similar package?

Many thanks!

Best Seller
Napa and Sonoma Wine Country Tour
2,361 Reviews
from $105.00*
Best Seller
San Francisco Super Saver: Muir Woods...
1,799 Reviews
from $126.00*
Special Offer
Muir Woods, Giant Redwoods, and...
2,630 Reviews
from $61.20*
$68.00
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,175 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire - Premium Package??!

Trying to bring a car back with no fuel is not advisable. It would be better to just fill Gasoline (or Petrol) and when you return instead of trying to make sure there is no Gas left in the tank. Please note that all the companies offer these deals to make money and not look out for the consumer :-)

Now if you need to add an additional driver then it would be cheaper if you were renting it for a week or 10 days than signing up at the counter. Gas prices on an average in Ca are around 3.50 to 3.70 (and they do yo-yo) for unleaded so with a 15 to 20 gallon tank, you can do the math

Harrow, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire - Premium Package??!

If you are using Carhire3000 check your paperwork/quotation VERY carefully before going ahead. I had spoke to them earlier this week and they made mistake after mistake. I finally thought they had it right and was about to pay a deposit and noticed that they had wrongly altered the drop off to 24 hours too early! That despite me asking the girl time and again to confirm the right date. I know people who have used them and they are ok, just very, very inefficient - so check, check and check again!

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire - Premium Package??!

Regarding the OP's "premium package", here's what long-time travel consumer advocate Ed Perkins wrote in a column on the Smarter Travel website (noting that Smarter Travel is owned by TripAdvisor):

"Don't fall for the "buy a full tank" option. Unless you're very careful or willing to take a risk, the car will have some remaining gas when you return it. And when you do, you're donating whatever gas remains in the tank to the rental company—and a car rental company probably isn't your favorite charity. The defense is to insist on the full-out, full-in pricing, and make sure to complete the final fill." smartertravel.com/travel-advice/… in section "Rent Full, Return Full".

With regards to Hazl39's follow-on comment, the caution about checking your paperwork and quotation very carefully, this holds true not only for Carehire 3000, but ANY (a) rental car reservation, (b) travel booking in general (hotel, airline, tours, etc.), and (c) contracts in general. Unless you live in a sterile bubble and never leave it, I suspect that many participants in these forums have seen this kind of problem sometime in their travels.

Edited: 3:01 pm, January 08, 2012
Bristol
Level Contributor
115 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire - Premium Package??!

Hi All,

Thanks ever so much for the swift replies!! They are really helpful!! I will definitely go for the basic package and will check my paperwork!!

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
5,351 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire - Premium Package??!

Check with CarHire3000 what an extra driver costs without the 'Premium' package charge. I have heard (but I am not sure if it is true that) California law requires a free extra driver. They could find a deal with no extra driver charge when I asked - but they failed to respond to a price match request.

I you go to Holiday Autos they advertise 'extra driver free in California' but then add $10/day extra driver charge payable locally, when I queried this they first said I needed to by their premium package but eventually admitted there was no extra driver charge. I got an email from them advertising a 35% off sale starting Monday so it may be worth getting a quote from them.

Eventually I got an equivalent price (£225 2 weeks Compact) direct from Hertz using a corporate CDP code. Free extra driver and no fuel pre-purchase requirement.

6. Re: Car Hire - Premium Package??!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, February 24, 2013