We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel with larger swimming pool

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
59 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel with larger swimming pool

Hello I'll be traveling 4 night with two kids 8 and 16 (end of June). There first time in S.F. and of course will take them to local sites (F.W., chinatown, Alcatraz, Giant game) However they love the water! Are there any convenient hotels with "larger" pools?

thanks in advance.

Best Seller
Napa and Sonoma Wine Country Tour
2,360 Reviews
from $105.00*
Best Seller
San Francisco Super Saver: Muir Woods...
1,796 Reviews
from $126.00*
Special Offer
Muir Woods, Giant Redwoods, and...
2,628 Reviews
from $61.20*
$68.00
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,397 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel with larger swimming pool

There are not very many hotels in San Francisco with pools. Google the Handlery Union Square, the Holiday Inn Select & Spa Downtown, and the Hotel Nikko. These are all near Union Square.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel with larger swimming pool

Stay in Union Square. Check out the Four Seasons, the Hotel Nikko and the Hilton (maybe?) Very few hotels in San Fransico actually have pools. So you can't afford to be too picky as far as what you consider "larger".

I would go with the Four Seasons (if you can afford it) as it is very nice and the pool is very nice as well.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
222 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel with larger swimming pool

Hi, The Sheraton Palace has a pool. Nikko's is very nice. The Four Seasons has one in SportsClub LA

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,927 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel with larger swimming pool

I agree with the last poster, The Palace has a nice pool area.

If you dont want to pay Palace / Hilton / Four Seasons type prices then check out the Holiday Inn Golden Gateway. They have an outdoor heated pool.

It is located on Van Ness and California and although out of the way a little the California St. Cable Car terminus is almost outside the door and you can walk down Van Ness to the Wharf.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel with larger swimming pool

The Hyatt at Fisherman's Wharf has a "lappable" pool, enclosed by the hotel itself, but open to the sky.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel with larger swimming pool

With the outdoor pools, keep in mind that June tends to be rather chilly and there is fog --typically not real great swimming weather.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel with larger swimming pool

At one time, San Francisco had the world's largest outdoor pool, the 20 million-plus gallon Fleischhacker, and indoor, at Sutro Baths, pool. You can see the Sutro pool. You can also see the Fleischhacker bath house on the Great Highway just past Sloat Boulevard. The pool is still there but it's been filled with dirt and paved. Part of it is where the gorillas live. I often what some archæologist will think when the enormous tile bath is found long hence.

For an idea of its enormity, the pool started about fifty feet from where the sidewalk is. The bath house was just about the middle of it and, at the far end, there was a very large T.

The Hilton on O'Farrell Street used to have, and probably still has, a pool on the Fourteenth (if I remember correctly) floor. The hotel goes higher on the four sides so it's fairly sheltered from the zephyrs. Many is the time we'd go there for a dip after the bars closed. Called room service for coffee and paid cash.

I'm one of the few people alive who did actually swim in the Fairmont's pool. The Press Club at 555 Post Street used to have a pool the feed pipe for which you could see at The Beach, a steam bath, and a sauna. The Bohemian Club, across the street, also has a pool. I've not swum in that one but I have visited it.

Another popular pool was Crystal Plunge. You can see what's left of it from Taylor Street just above Lombard Street.

When you're not swimming, the "Don't-miss sights in San Francisco" page geocities.com/iconoc/Articles/Sights.html has enough to keep you busy for nine twelve-hour days.

Your best source of advice on where to eat here is the UseNet Group ba.food. There's a link to it at the first URL below.

The best on-line map of San Francisco is an inter-active PDF: geocities.com/iconoc/Grafix/MuniMap.gif. Click on it to get the *.PDF. I recommend 200-400% magnification. A creation of the San Francisco Municipal Railway, it includes all of its routes.

The frequently-updated SPECIAL EVENTS page has irregularly-scheduled music and dances as well as links to seven calendars of regularly-scheduled dances, a composite of five of them, and one of dance cruises and events around the world: geocities.com/dancefest/Specials.html#t