We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Places to Buy Mens Suit

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,725 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
Good Places to Buy Mens Suit

Will be in SF next week. Obviously, the chain department stores in Union Square have a wide selection of mens suits (albeit at expensive prices).....wondering if there are any independent or non-chain menswear locations where I can buy a nice suit at a reasonable price ( i.e. $600 or less....NOT looking to spend $2000 for a name brand suit)....does not necessarily have to be in Union Square as I will have a car.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
21,343 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Places to Buy Mens Suit

Macy's have suits in all price ranges, and they always have some kind of "sale" going on. I once got a designer suit (Michael Kors) from Marshall's for $70, but you'll have to have lots of patience.

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Places to Buy Mens Suit

Check out Burlington on 4th and Howard. Upstairs is a huge selection of suits and formal wear and accessories and you will always find a great deal. Also see if they are still participating in the "One Warm Coat" drive, where they give 10% discount if you donate a coat.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,569 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Places to Buy Mens Suit

Another vote for Burlington. They have a large range at good prices.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Places to Buy Mens Suit

Since the OP is from San Diego, he has access to Macy's and Burlington. What he is looking for is independent or local merchants, something you can find in the Bay area, and not in Southern California.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Places to Buy Mens Suit

There are so many places to get a suit - but I'm afraid the smaller boutique places are more expensive than say Macy's or Jos. Bank.

Here are some good starting points with places like Wilkes Bashford, etc.: http://g.co/maps/dnxma

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Places to Buy Mens Suit

Nordstrom Rack might be another option-- but I have to agree- I would think finding something on a sale at Macy's or even Men's Warehouse would be much cheaper than the prices at the smaller stores or locally owned shops.

buenos aires...
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Places to Buy Mens Suit

Please tell us why you would want to spend time in SF shopping for a suit? I would think that any suit bought in SF, could be bought in SD, at a lower tax rate. I've never been to a Men's Warehouse store, but it might be worth a visit. In SD? Probably. The question is for a $600. not a $6,000.suit. Sorry Wilkes.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,124 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good Places to Buy Mens Suit

Meh... go to Off 5th and the Rack in Mission Valley and Brooks Bros and Last Call at Las Americas.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,881 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good Places to Buy Mens Suit

I'd also love to know the reason for shopping while visiting San Francisco from San Diego?? I know you MUST have an interesting reason??

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good Places to Buy Mens Suit

Men's clothes may not be the same as women's but San Diego is not an "A" market for Marcy's or Nordstom with regard to women's clothes. A friend of mine from SD comes to SF to buy her more formal work clothes and overcoats. SD has more warm weather and casual beachy stuff and doesn't stock much of a "winter" sesason. At least that's what I've heard. Speaking of that, I buy my overcoats in Chicago or NY ... they don't carry heavy long ones here.