We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking for Tour

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Parking for Tour

Hi. There are three of us spending the afternoon/early evening in San Fran before we drive to Napa. We're getting our rental car from the airport and then planning to take a double decker bus tour to quickly see the city.

So, unfortunately, we'll be stuck with the car all day while we're doing the tour. Considering we're driving from the airport and then heading to Napa afterwards, can anyone suggest a place to park near one of the tour bus stops? Here's the link for the tour we're taking, which lists the different stops: www.sanfranciscotours.us/…

I'd prefer someplace that's easy to get to for a first time visitor to the city and obviously with parking available (even if it's a garage, that's fine, we'd rather pay than spend the headache finding a meter). It doesn't matter to us at what stop we get on the bus. However, having just come from the airport and a long flight, we'll probably be starving and also want to be near someplace where we can get a quick bite to eat before hopping on the tour bus. I'm thinking some sort of cafe, etc. for lunch.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking for Tour

Are you absolutely locked into your tour choice? With the hop-on hop-off tour buses like you provided the weblink to, you're wasting a lot of your very limited time waiting for others to board and debark at each stop.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking for Tour

Not at all...other suggestions to see the city in a limited amount of time are recommended! Thanks.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,976 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking for Tour

From their hop-on/hop-off site, Lombard & Fillmore area (stop 15) seems a vicinity where street parking may be possible on a weekend when I think you can park for more than two hours if you're not at a metered spot. Most residential neighborhoods are limited to 2 hours during the week without a permit.

There also appears to be a garage very close which people say is reasonably priced and has ok reviews. See yelp.com/biz/…20Garages

There are certainly restaurants along Union street, along Fillmore, and along Chestnut streets and all of these streets are close.

If you're driving across the Golden Gate Bridge to get to Napa, then this area is right along Lombard Street which is the street that will take you onto the bridge eventually.

There are also parking garages all over town in most neighborhoods where there isn't enough street parking but downtown or fishermans wharf will tend to be more expensive, I believe.

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking for Tour

In general I'm not a big tour person. This translates to I might vaguely start to consider taking a tour if terrorists were holding Venerable Mom as a hostage, and threats of the Van Gogh style makeover were starting to be raised if I didn't get on the bus double-quick (sorry, Venerable Mom....).

With that in mind Dylan's Tours http://www.dylanscitytours.com/ and Mr. Toad's Tours http://www.mrtoadstours.com/ get favorable mention in this forum, as does Extranomical Tours, extranomical.com/HTML_PAGES/SAN_FRANCISCO_CI… , which I believe is a larger, more traditional operator. It doesn't appear that Dylan has a standard afternoon offering (the other two do) but his private tours don't strike me as being outrageously priced.

One question you might want to ask yourself is "Who is Mr. Toad"? If you haven't read The Wind in the Willows you might wish to refrain from doing so until your trip is over. How people come up with names for their companies escapes me at times.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking for Tour

Thanks so much for your suggestions...I took some notes, and we'll play things by ear depending on what time we can get on the road to the city! Thanks again.

6. Re: Parking for Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, November 08, 2012