We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trips without a car

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
europe
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
day trips without a car

hi can you recommend day trips from san francisco without the use of a car? is it possible to get to half moon bay using public transport?

California
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trips without a car

Samtrans is the transit line. Do a search for "Samtrans" and I believe you can wait for the bus at Daly City or Millbrae BART stations. The bus to Half Moon Bay operates either every half or on the hour.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trips without a car

- I know that Samtrans also offers some kind of special service from Hillsdale Caltrain station to Ano (there's a tilde over that n) Nuevo State Park where you can see the elephant seals. A friend did that last week and said it was very enjoyable.

- Golden Gate Transit offers decent transit for folks heading to points north, such as the Marin Headlands.

- BART has a link on its site where it shows you how to get to certain destinations via BART and bus. Go to www.bart.gov and click on "Rider Guide," then "Destinations" You can choose via category of destination. The only problem is that you can't tell how long the trip takes. That requires using both BART's trip planner and the other transit agency's trip planner (or consult their schedules on line).

- Caltrain and a combo of buses can get you to some interesting places on the Peninsula. You can, in some cases, take Caltrain to a town's station and simply walk to pleasant little commercial districts, if you want to shop and look around. Burlingame is like that. San Jose is pretty walkable, and the free DASH shuttle loops from the train station throughout downtown.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: day trips without a car

I just want to add that you can also book bus tours/day trips with certain companies so that is just another option you may wish to keep in mind. The only drawback is that you cannot set your own pace and you have to do things on their time frame, but depending on what you're doing that may not be a bad thing. It depends on you and your preferences.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trips without a car

Oh, here's a link on the Ano Nuevo State Reserve, via the Half Moon Bay Chamber of Commerce:

http://tinyurl.com/or3qx

It gives info on what you see, and how you get there, or at least the number to call. For $15, it's a good deal, since the admission is $12. This covers the transportation cost from San Mateo. You'd have to take Caltrain from SF to San Mateo, but that's easy.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trips without a car

What sort of day trips are you looking for, anyway? Hiking? Shopping? Active or relaxed?

europe
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: day trips without a car

thanks for your wonderful suggestions. our trip takes place in July! im so excited already and busy planning! i have been looking into organised tours too, the drawback being you cant set your own pace. i really enjoy walking, sightseeing , outdoors and shopping!

thanks again for your kind replies

Alberta
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: day trips without a car

I think this tour is great value for your $ it is a city tour with SF Comprehensive Shuttle Tours it is 60/pp for 5 hours (we will be taking this in April but the reviews were good) and what a better way to get the feel of the city! We are also going to Monterey/Carmel 11 hrs. with Grayline (there is another tour company Extranomical Tours they have a small van and had good reviews less $ but did not know forsure) so went with Grayline as we have used them in other cities. Hope this helps.

europe
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: day trips without a car

hi thanks for your suggestions. the shuttle tour of san francisco looks good & gets good reviews! def think we'll do that. ill check out grayline tour to Monterey/Carmel. please keep ideas coming! thanks!

sydney
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: day trips without a car

For a city tour I prefer a tour with less people so that you can tell the driver what you want to see. Max at napa tours has a good tour of the city. To do the wine country or yosemite I would recommend www.extranomical.com To do the bay I wouldn't take a bay cruise I would just take the ferry to Sausalito for about $7.